Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM

Default AQ as sb 3bettor on AAx fd flop

villain raises 4 utg in six max hes 35/15/3, hero 3bets AQo in the sb to 16 (too loose? how about if he was button CO or HJ?)
villain calls. Hero has full stack villain has covered.

flop AAx with a fd... 32 in the pot whats ur c bet to? what do u do if he min raises or makes a more standardish raise. Or u more likely to do something different when the x is different cards?

if he minraises and the flush hits on the turn and u just called the flop minraise what do u do when he bets and u have no redraw? how about when u have a redraw?

how about u call the flop raise he cks behind the turn flush and the 4 flush hits on the river? How about if the turn was the K of flush and he checks behind and the 4 flush hits different anyhow?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: AQ as sb 3bettor on AAx fd flop

Do you think he ever folds to your PF 3bet (not 100% pertinent to this hand, just a general question about his UTG opening strength)?
I 3bet AK here, but not sure about AQ. Not sure why, because in this spot they probably play very similar?

His range here is pretty wide if he is truly raising top 15%. Is he position aware, ie only top 5% UTG, or does he just raise for instance ATo anywhere? If not very position aware, then your hand has a bunch of equity here, but if he is the type to fold AJo UTG, then not so much if you get raised.

Need to think more about the flush card hitting.

The main reason I do not like 3betting here is because our position sucks. I would have liked it much better if we were in position obviously.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 PM

I don't raise that much preflop, I keep it to 12.

I probably bet about 4/5 x pot on the flop. So something like 25 in your case.

The other questions are too hard for me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I guess it boils down to, I'm trying to get all my/his chips in the middle as early as possible. I'm not a very classy post-flop player. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM

jstill,

3 betting with is pretty standard (there are exceptions of course, but against this villain, I'd do it relentlessly). Assuming this is NL$100 with 100 bb stacks, I am never folding. I'll lead out around 2/3 pot, which should make it easy to get it in on the turn. I'm also not folding here with KK either. QQ is where the decision starts to get tougher.

If my read is that he will bet if I check then I will check. You still have two streets to get the money in so a free card is not a disaster.

I am not concerned about flush draws HU in 6-max with A on the board in a hand that was 3-bet pre-flop. That's just looking for monsters under the bed.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:30 AM

4 2 what range do u put this villain on when he calls? he should fold most all PPs rite? and like AJ AQ rite? what should he do with AK? what hands in thta range do u expect him to stack off with here on the flop or turn?

the flush this hand wasnt my main concern it just seems like his range here whne he wants to get it all in will usually be like AK AQ or xx on AAx... fd hands probably arent much of his range I take it since KQ KJ usually fold even from these type of players vs this big 3bet right?

how about vs a solid player or nitty tag what do you think of this situation? I guess we wouldnt 3bet those players utg raise rite? but what if they raised from the BTN CO or HJ (would we 3bet the latter) and the hand played out this way... I just feel like most of their range that calls the 3bet then wants to stack off beats us ... maybe they stack off with KK QQ still but do they raise the flop or overshove the turn for full stacks with those hands? why would they? How about with KK here vs a good player what are your thoughts?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM

jstill,

A solid TAG will call with a lot more than big PPs and AJ+ if your image is such that you are capable of trying to steal here. If it's my 2nd hand at the table, I definitely tilt his range towards hands like suited Aces and PPs like TT and JJ. AK, AA and KK probably shove so I tend to discount them here. 6-max Blind vs. button raise hands are much more of an art than a science, so it's hard to just give a rule of thumb.

At NL$100, I have seen decent players do very odd things on paired A flop. I've seen JJ-KK pay off some pretty big bets. Obviously any A is stacking off here.

I would 3-bet solid players and nits with AQ. It helps with balancing and if your image is solid then these types of players should be folding much more often than they are calling. Be warned, most of SSNL considers me a nit playing a 22/13 style so if your image is a 26/24 then I think you don't have as much FE.

If I have KK here, I'm checking the flop and planning to call down two streets of reasonable bets. I should be better than a coin flip against his range.

A lot of times the best way to play a hand like AQ pre-flop depends on who you want int he pot. If the idiot who plays any Ace is in the BB then calling and getting the pot 3-way is probably +EV. If BB likes to squeeze then 3 betting AQ is almost mandatory.

jstill, if you don't mind me asking, what level are you playing right now?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 PM

I guess I ll just throw out all my stats real quick... Ive got like 60k hands mostly at 50 and 100 on stars on this most recent DB, its like 3:2 split basically.

Im running even nittier than you playing 17/13. My folded sb to steal is almost 90 and my folded bb is almost 80... Im going to SD 20% of the time and winning just over 50%. my ptbb/100 is only just over 3/100 at the moment which includes running at worse than -100bb/100 at NL200 over a few hundred hands (fun :P).

my preflop af is just over 2.5 my flop AF is just under 4 my turn af is 1.9 and my river af is like 2.5... my attempt to steal is 26

what am I doing obviously wrong?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM

jstill,

You aren't doing anything obviously wrong with those stats. If you are playing 6-max, I would say that the sweet spot to see flops is somewhere between 20-24% My go to showdown is around 23-24% and my winning % at SD is low 50's (which seems to be standard).

TBH, winning at over 3 PTBB/100 puts in the top quartile of players at those levels. At 6-max NL$100 it's my belief that the top players win at a 5-6PTBB/100 clip over the long term and the very best might be around 8. There is no empirical evidence to support this because the players capable of doing 8-10PTBB/100 at NL$100 will move up before they get enough hands in to prove it statistically. I've probably got close to 400k hands at NL$100 and NL$200 and I think I was around 3.58PTBB/100 last time I checked. I'm running close to 5PTBB/100 for 2007, so I guess an old dog can learn new tricks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 12:47 PM

I guess thats comforting I havent been playing totally wrong and my results arent awful (which I assumed ever since seeing Sethy and Justin post their like 8-10ptbb/100 over huge sample sizes)... but at the same time I think part of me would rather hear there was something in my stats that were totally out of whack and I could easily fix that would improve my results over night ya know... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

thanks again for all yours and grunch's help its nice to have people whose advice you can always rely on to be credible like I had with ILP hip gehrig Heis Leader Miles ect in SSSH when I was starting out... im sure i ll have plenty of more questions for u guys in the future
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could easily fix that would improve my results over night ya know... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you find this, please be sure to let me in on the secret [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The thing to keep in mind about NL, is that when someone hits a heater his stats will look insane. I have 20k and 30k hand samples of over 10PTBB/100 and I have a very brutal 40k break even run along with a few 10 buy-in downswings just for laughs. I'm just happy that I feel like I have reached the point where I can sit at most NL$100 tables and not be outclassed.