Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Default WSOP: Player goes all in, Dealer incorrectly counts stack. ruling?

xPost from Tourney forum. I think that this ruling is correct but I am curious how the B&M personel among us would have ruled

[ QUOTE ]

From pokernews:

"Mueller Steaming

Greg "FBT" Mueller bets out 550 with pocket sevens and is raised by an all-in player. The dealer announces the all-in amount as 1650 and Mueller calls.

The all-in player has pocket tens, the board does not improve either player and the tens hold up. At the end of the hand, the dealer cuts down the all-in player's chips and realises that the all-in bet was actually 2650. Mueller calls for the floor, claiming he never would have called for an extra 2000 with his hand.

The floor comes over and Mueller pleads his case. The floor rules that, in the interest of fairness, the 1650 has to stay in the pot but Greg does not have to put in the extra 1000."

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think this ruling is best I do not think that it is exactly 'fair' because if had Mueller spiked his set he would have been playing for 2650 but since he lost he only had to play for 1650... Then again, if he knew the villain had 2650 then he would have saved the money he had to call with when he folded altogether. Thoughts?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: WSOP: Player goes all in, Dealer incorrectly counts stack. ruling?

If he had spiked his set, of course the other person would be claiming he only called 1650 and it would be the same result.

It's up to both players to protect their hands. They accepted the dealer's statement, so that's all that plays.

...but I wouldn't count on that ruling everywhere.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had spiked his set, of course the other person would be claiming he only called 1650 and it would be the same result.

It's up to both players to protect their hands. They accepted the dealer's statement, so that's all that plays.

...but I wouldn't count on that ruling everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you protect your hand if you can't see all the guys chips and the dealer gives you a count? I am not trying to be cute, I want to know what I should do in this situation. Do I walk over and inspect the stacks, or insist that dealer break down the stacks into countable units? I am assuming that physically touching another players chips is a big no-no.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM

Ruling was correct, I don't understand why there is any doubt. No cross-posting please.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM

The dealer said "1650". The all-in player has an obligation to correct that if it's wrong. If he doesn't, he's stuck with the action that was stated on his behalf.

BTW, with the WSOP's reputation for horrible dealers, I can't believe anyone would take a dealer's word for the size of someone's stack. If I asked for a countdown, I'd want the chips laid out in a manner where they could be counted from across the room (like dealers have done for 100 years "for the camera").

[ QUOTE ]
No cross-posting please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth not? If a question is posed in one forum, why can't it be brought to a place where people who are expert in the field might give the best answer?