Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 06:00 PM

Default felt or fold preflop

answer for villain 70/10/.5 50/10/1 35/20/3 19/12/2.5 and 15/9/3 or so (or make up ur own villain parameters I dont care just trying to get a spectrum)

100 bb stacks

villain opens for 4x the bb, u make it 12, he makes it 40 alittle less than half ur stack

what hands do u call with if any? what hands do u shove or call and plan to felt off postflop? What hands were u 3betting pre in the first place and will fold?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: felt or fold preflop

Positions?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM

do the positions change ur ranges that much for shoving vs folding? if so state how ie blind battle id do this utg vs CO id do this
Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 PM

I don't know.

The whole thing is too vague for me to answer. I hope some others can help you out.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM

Much too vague. Post an actual hand or set up a situation like hero has JJ on the button. Folds to CO who is a decent player (24/13/2)whose opening range in the CO is wide. CO raises to 4xBB. Both buttons call too much pre-flop with any suited B-way cards. This is an easy 3-bet to isolate. If CO shoves then you are in bad shape.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 PM

hmmm..... let me try it differently I guess

NL100

villain raises to 4 in HJ, u 3bet to 12 either otb or in the blinds (will it matter?), he 4bets to 40

any hands u call with? what range of hands do u 5bet shove with and in connection to that what hands are u 3betting and then folding to his 4bet either otb or in the blinds? if ur in position do u ever/ often just call with KK/AA to felt after the flop vs his 4bet or always shove now?

And in the end does it really matter if villain is HJ UTG or CO as to what hands u ll do what with vs his 4bet?

u can answer when villain is good 22/18/2.5 or bad 50/10/1 or however u chose I suppose.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 PM

or if u really want to make it simple assume the good player, and u 3bet QQ or JJ in the small blind what is ur action vs a HJ open of 4 when u 3bet to 12 and he 4bets to 36 or 40... is it different when u 3bet from the button or CO?? (obviously ur range is wider but do u felt lighter then, I feel like most villains in small stakes arent 4betting basically for stacks any lighter vs a BTN 3bet than a sb 3bet but I could be wrong trying to see what u guys think).

I dont think my question was too vague to be answered, its just very general... I want to know what changes the action in peoples mind ie when they felt what, how different is your range for 5 bet shoving or folding when a good (or bad but mostly passive or way too aggressive) villain 4bets us the standardish amount.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM

I do think its too vague.

Yes, it makes a difference OTB vs SB, as my 3-betting range is much much wider OTB.

Also, I wouldn't 3-bet to 12bb after a 4bb open when I'm in the sb. Maybe 20bb would be more like it.

Then...

OOP and facing a 1/2 stack 4-bet, I'd fold all but AA and KK to a good opponent, opening that to include QQ and AK against a weak one. I don't think I would ever call a 1/2-stack 4-bet preflop.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 PM

never call.

push aa/kk/ak almost always. adding in hands from there (qq/jj/aq/etc.) will depend on your positions and the dynamic between you. if it was folded to him in the co/button and you're in the blinds you should widen your range a little. the reason for this is his initial raise should be wider (attempt to steal) so he might expect your 3-betting range to be a little wider (as it should be). if this is an utg/utg+1 battle i would stick to just your best hands, aa/kk/ak.

reads and frequencies are very important also. if you've been 3-betting a lot in general you should push some weaker hands (qq/jj/tt/aq) because one could expect his 4-betting range to be wider in compensation. however, this isn't always the case, especially below 2/4nl (in my experience at least). pay attention to how they react to increased 3-betting from you. some players don't react at all, they still fold everything except their big pairs. some players will call you a lot more and see flops. others will start 4-betting you more.

blind battles are another situation different enough to warrant their own "rules". unfortunately that's almost entirely read dependent and often people play much differently in blind battles than otherwise. some players feel like it's a heads-up battle and completely over-adjust, 3 and 4 betting with very wide ranges. best thing to do is pay attention, get a read and loosen up as necessary.

also when oop make your 3-bet a little bigger than 4->12. i'd suggest 14-16bb.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 PM

thanks guys that was pretty much what i was lookin for/ expecting.