Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM

Default is landlord trying something fishy?

I move out on july 31st from my apt. My landlord knows im moving out then because we have talked about it. 2 different times now she has asked me and my roomates for a written paper saying that we are moving out with all our names on it.

I have never had to do anything like this before. She mentioned something about doing it so we could get out deposit back. This makes no sense to any of my roomates???

is she trying to get us??

Also she never filled out a damage report before we moved in. She said she was going to come and do it but just never did.

Is there anyway we wont get our deposit back. The house is in good shape, but i dont want her trying to pull anything over on us.

If I had to take her to small claims court or something would I win. It would be impossible to prove we did any of the damage. I obv hope none of this happens but I am just wondering if worse came to worse.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: is landlord trying something fishy?

wtf? she wants it in writing that you are moving out?

so write on a piece of paper. "we are moving out on july 31 as is authorized under our lease" then sign it and have her sign it.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 PM

Soudns pretty standard. She probably just wants more evidence should y'all decide to overstay
Old 07-24-2007, 11:31 PM

A lot of lease's have a clause that at the end of the lease if the renter doesn't sign a new one it automatically goes to month to month so, if you do not give a notice and do not sign a new lease it goes to month to month and you will be liable for aug. You better hope she is a nice landlord.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 PM

I have been on month-to-month for the past 2 years.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53 PM

Yeah, leases almost always turns into "month to month" at the end of term. You have to give 30 days notice to actually be clear to move out.

Mainly I'm trying to stress that any agreement you think you have with a landlord NEEDS TO BE IN WRITING. If it's not, then you have no recourse. I've had various problems before like one place I asked if I could have a pet, they said fine, but I signed a lease that said "no pets" and got in trouble. Get it in writing. When you tell them that you're moving out, submit it in writing, etc. etc.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 PM

If there's one thing I've learned from TV court shows, its that you can never have too much in writing. My landlord at my last apartment asked for the notice to vacate a month or two prior, and she was the best landlord I've ever had to deal with. Did everything on time and was quite thorough, and in the end I got my entire deposit back because of her help. Nothing fishy AT ALL.

That said, if you didn't do a damage report when you moved in, you better make sure this place is as spotless as possible when you leave. And just write her a note so you don't get charged, like everyone else has said.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 PM

she probably just wants something that says your moving out so that if she finds someone to replace you guys, you can't back out and stay past july 31st
Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I move out on july 31st from my apt. My landlord knows im moving out then because we have talked about it. 2 different times now she has asked me and my roomates for a written paper saying that we are moving out with all our names on it.

I have never had to do anything like this before. She mentioned something about doing it so we could get out deposit back. This makes no sense to any of my roomates???

is she trying to get us??

[/ QUOTE ]

You should always submit in writing yourself. If you don't your landlord could charge you rent for August. Conversations are useless.

[ QUOTE ]

Also she never filled out a damage report before we moved in. She said she was going to come and do it but just never did.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your responsibility, not hers. You should've done it and if she needed to be there you should tell her to come. Also you should really take pictures of the place with a digital camera when you move in so you really have good documentation of the move-in condition.

[ QUOTE ]

Is there anyway we wont get our deposit back. The house is in good shape, but i dont want her trying to pull anything over on us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you haven't protected yourself AT ALL so she can probably take as much of your deposit as she sees fit.

[ QUOTE ]

If I had to take her to small claims court or something would I win. It would be impossible to prove we did any of the damage. I obv hope none of this happens but I am just wondering if worse came to worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL she doesn't have to prove that you did the damage. If there is damage and you didn't document it then you are liable. You would have to prove that the damage was pre-existing, which it sounds like you can not.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 PM

how could she charge you for rent in august if i have a lease until july 31?