Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 01:45 AM

Default live flop play

in the i'm utg $700 or so stack, i've taken down most pots without sd in my ~2 hrs @ the table, guy on my R has commented quietly to his neighbor that he hasn't seen me get out of line, but that's about it - he is sitting on about $200 after rebuying twice after being sucked out on, of which i haven't heard the end about it. only other relevant read is 9 seat, who looked like a donk but has been playing decently. game is a typical 2/5 game, loose-passive, with no standouts at the table, and i am seeing as many flops as possible.

to recap, 2/5 live, 9-seat = decent, nothing out of line
4-seat = 40ish man, keeps commenting on being card-dead and getting bad beat

i limp after 4 seat limps, 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], i generally raise this up to isolate, but being in EP in such a passive game i enjoy limping, and generally if anybody raises it's 6-seat, who will make it $30 with 4-5 callers to me, pricing me in nicely with a playable multiway hand

alas, 4 more limpers, blinds call, 7 to the flop:
[$35] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
checked to seat 4 who bets out $20, and looks pleased with his hand... i look left quickly and see 2 players including 9 seat double check their cards, and i just call (?). i frequently employ rbk's advice re: taking risks to win bigger pots, and in this case my chances were good to get action behind.

2 more calls to 9 seat who makes it $60, $40 more -[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] live poker

folded back to 4-seat who hems & haws, and pushes for $163 total, "all or nothing time" he says

@ this pt it's clear he likes his hand, which could go from big ace, 2 pair, set, or 2sXs - his hand is almost immaterial

so there are three more players to act behind, including 9 seat, $143 more to me in $315 pot, after i call the raise pot will be $460, with $540 or so behind. 9 seat has ~$500 left, and the two players in b/w cover me, no history with them. No physical tells, and only thing I can add is that as I was thinking and "calculating" out loud after dealer counted the $163 4-seat implores me to fold, saying son come on you don't have the right odds to call...

your play?

come to think of it, the right play might be very different than what i did
Old 10-18-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: live flop play

Don't call, you're giving decent odds to a flush draw behind you. I think shove is best.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 AM

You got what you wanted. Now shove your stack in there.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:41 AM

no advocates for getting tricky with a call, hoping to look weak and induce a push from 9-seat, or getting it in on turn? what about < all-in raise?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 AM

go allin, no one is folding two pair and they probably wont fold a flush draw either, but they might fold it on the turn if it doesnt get there, and they might fold two pair if it does
Old 10-18-2007, 01:45 PM

you have to shove here any other paly is really bad, there is def. a flush draw in there and made hands will probably call anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:19 PM

shove it in now, avoid the 'if a spade drops, what's my play'
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 PM

deff all in

in my 2,5 game these two guys are calling with almost anything except they A weak kick hands
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 PM

thanks for the replies, looks like everyone advocates pushing

i tried to get a bit too fancy and might have out-thought myself but in this case it didn't change results. i tried to look as week as possible... reraised 200 more with the hopes of giving an illusion of FE to somebody who might push 2p or set behind. two folds, 9seat mucked AKo faceup, and straight held again 4seat's ATo... should have just pushed, but i don't think push gets called by < set, even in this game