Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
he probably won't decline defensively for the next 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the numbers in the Gold Glove thread are accurate, I hope for Yankees' pitchers' sake he doesn't.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a competent center fielder

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of those available for mere cash. The Yanks are awash in cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name some better than melky?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROWWAAANNDDDDDD

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain. Rowand is thirty, Melky is 23. Melky has significantly more range. Rowands career OPS+ is 106, Melky 90, but in 2005-2006 Rowand averaged below 90. Looks to me like Melky is likely to be more valuable than Rowand going forward, so why sign another damonesque centerfielder to an expensive long term contract for his decline years?

[/ QUOTE ]

explanation... not only is rowand easily obtainable but he is a better hitter and has more range than melky for the next few years... also we are talking about getting miguel cabrera...and he's REAL GOOD

To be fair, i'm not sure how long of a contract rowand is looking for, but I'm sure they can overpay a little per year and knock of a year or two (would be optimal for them)
Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
If that stance keeps the Yankees from trading for Cabrera, they could turn their attention to the Baltimore Orioles’ Miguel Tejada, who would switch to third base from shortstop.

A trade for Tejada is a backup plan for the Yankees, who could afford him. With two years and $26 million left on his contract, the Orioles want to move him.

The Yankees are doubtful that Peter Angelos, the Orioles’ owner, would make a major deal with them. But after 10 consecutive losing seasons, Angelos has ceded some control to his new president of baseball operations, Andy MacPhail, who said the team needed an overhaul.

“We have to be open-minded to anything,” MacPhail said. “Trying to sign a free agent here and there and Band-Aid this thing is not a strategy that has really worked out.”

MacPhail said the Orioles want to rebuild their talent base in all areas, suggesting they would want multiple players in any deal. They need pitching and have an obvious hole in center field, where Melky Cabrera would fit.

The Orioles also need a closer because of injuries to Chris Ray and Danys Báez and are interested in Kyle Farnsworth, who was developed by the Chicago Cubs when MacPhail and Manager Dave Trembley worked there.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/sports...xprod=permalink

tejada is slated to make $13M/yr through 2009, giving the yankees a chance to extend him. farnsworth is making $5.5M next season and then FA. farnsworth+melky+someone-like-karstens for tejada. i could definitely go for this.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Tejada for two year ssounds great... also after 2 years of Tejada that marlins 3b will be a FA if i'm not mistaken
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

explanation... not only is rowand easily obtainable but he is a better hitter and has more range than melky for the next few years... also we are talking about getting miguel cabrera...and he's REAL GOOD

To be fair, i'm not sure how long of a contract rowand is looking for, but I'm sure they can overpay a little per year and knock of a year or two (would be optimal for them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rowand has to be demanding a long term deal (does he want to be a free agent at age 34?) after his career outlier season. If the Yankees bite they will end up with another Damon half way through it. Andruw Jones is a better hitter and fielder, and may be willing to take a short term, even one year deal to re-establish his market value. He's also a prime candidate for a huge bounce back season.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 PM

but he's such a fatty
Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 PM

DC,

In all seriousness, is Andruw ahead of rowand in all metrics?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ut why would you want to get rid of a player like him? he's cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the Yankees. They don't care about cheap. For good reason.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but he's such a fatty

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really hard to get over if you've watched Andruw at all for the past few years, I understand. That being said, he is a way better bet than Rowand.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andruw Jones is a better hitter and fielder, and may be willing to take a short term, even one year deal to re-establish his market value. He's also a prime candidate for a huge bounce back season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones and Scott Boras aren't going to talk 1-year with anybody. Someone asked Boras that earlier in the year and he seemed quite offended.