Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Time to think during a hand?

I understand tht a dealer can call for time and then you have 1 min.

How long do you guys usaully think for after or before your move? If i give myself time to think i usually end up making the right move but i dont want to spend 30 secs or a 1min at every street or bet. But if thts standard then i guess i have no qualms about doing it.

The reason why i ask is because i rarely see people spend tht much time lulling over a hand excpet on a big bet/raise/allin usually on river or something.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Time to think during a hand?

most decisions shouldn't take more than a couple seconds

as the pot grows and bet sizes increase, then you may need more time, but this shouldn't happen terribly often
Old 05-11-2007, 08:42 AM

At least where I've played, dealer does not call the clock. A player in the hand can.

Generally you can get a few minutes (3-4) for a major decision, with the last part of that on a clock.

Saturday saw a guy shove all in and instantly call the clock. Floor was within eyeshot and just said 'no'.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 AM

Even a player not in the hand can call a clock.

I've never ever called a clock on someone in a cash game - or a tournament for that matter. I don't think I ever will in a cash game, tournament is another matter.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 AM

I agree.... Tournament I would and have called a clock, but in a cash game, I am in no hurry.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM

I might call a clock in a cash game where I play. You pay $6 every half hour instead of a per-pot rake. When someone is taking a long time, it gets expensive. No big deal on one big hand, but when they do it consistently, you have to do something. I've seen it at other tables, but I haven't had to deal with it myself yet.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 AM

In a limit game, you should never take more than 15 to 20 seconds to make a decision.

In NL, you should never take more than 10 seconds on any standard size pre-flop raise. As the rounds and the size of the bets increase, you can take a little more time but you should not go over a minute (or even approach a full minute) more than a few times per session.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Since it sounds like you are talking big bet poker...

During normal play, it should not take you too long to act when the action comes to you. What is too long? Good question, I guess it really depends on the mood of the table.

[rant]Frankly I hate the guys that get their cards dealt, they take the time to arrange them, cap, then sit there unit it is their turn to act, then they uncap them, move them to a "viewing" position, then slowly squeeze out the cards, then quickly muck. Just look your cards when they are dealt and be prepared to act when it's your turn![/rant]

When you are facing a tough choice, or need to look like you are facing a tough choice (like you hold the nuts and have action pending behind you with heavy action before you), take as much time as you want.

The only time a player has a real reason to bitch about slow play in a big bet ring game is in a time game. The last time someone bitched at me, I tossed him the time for the down and told him to STFU.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a limit game, you should never take more than 15 to 20 seconds to make a decision.

In NL, you should never take more than 10 seconds on any standard size pre-flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say Limit should take longer than No Limit?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In NL, you should never take more than 10 seconds on any standard size pre-flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say Limit should take longer than No Limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

he didn't