Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 AM

Default AJs blind resteal becomes icky

No HH available so details are sketchy.

200NL 6m on FT.

Villan is a multitabler. He raises his CO/button very frequently, and I am unfortanately in the sb/bb when this happens. I don't have too many postflop reads except he seems okay. I haven't played back at him much and should have a TAGgy image.

Effective stack sizes $200.

PF: All fold to villan who raises to $7 in the CO. Button (unimportant loose player) calls $7. Hero is in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raises to $33. BB folds, Villan calls $26, button folds. HU to the flop.

($75)Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero...?

Please don't give 'bet flop bet flop duh duh' but some valid reasoning. IMO, If I bet this flop, it turns my hand into a bluff.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: AJs blind resteal becomes icky

I think this is a WA/WB situation. I check/call the flop an the turn propably, and might fold to a big river bet.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 AM

I think you have to bet this flop no matter what happens. This flop is one of your best possible flops, so go ahead and bet. If you are faced with any resistence you obv need to slow down and hope to get to showdown. If he has you beat he will call down and if you have him beat he will fold to most bets. I'd bet $60 with full intentions of not putting another penny in the pot.

If we check the flop and he bets $60 what do we do? This is exactly why I bet it myself to 1) keep thep ressure on him and 2) make him fold his worse hands so he does not catch up.

I dont think you can extract any more value out of this hand. Personally I think you are better off calling preflop and saving this play for when you have a SC or PP.

-Tickner
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 AM

I like a check call on the flop. It allows him to put a bet in with hands that you are beating. If he's a TAG'ish multitabler, you should be able to get a fairly cheap showdown , which is precisely what you want here. I think betting the flop bloats the pot and isnt good considering a bunch of AQ AK combinations are ahead of you here.

Tickner, what worse hand is he calling with on this flop? It is doubtful that he has random spades and a competent player wont have A9 or worse here. Checking and calling a bet allows him to bluff at it and potentially make a mistake.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:57 AM

I agree with viper, a check/call is the best way to get the most money in when you're ahead and save money when you're not. Try and see a cheap showdown, which shouldn't be hard if he's multitabling and therefore isn't going to fire twice with JJ/QQ
Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 AM

c/c, c/c, block i think is the best thing here.

Also, I like just calling pf. i think reraising AJs into a good raiser + loose caller is overplaying your hand from the SB.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:32 AM

I would bet. You want this pot now. Your hand basically is a bluff since you were called PF. His calling range of that big resteal is probably pretty slim (usually always better than AJs) and includes many mid-high PPs and possible AK/AQs. If you bet about 3/4th here, you can easily check/fold turn if called. I don't think many multitabling TAGs will float you in a reraised pot this big. Getting called here is going to be cheaper than c/c'ing flop and turn no matter what he bets.

BTW you guys that are saying c/c flop and turn realize that Hero is all in on the turn, right? Not to mention a turn K, Q, or spade is gross.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I like just calling pf. i think reraising AJs into a good raiser + loose caller is overplaying your hand from the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learnt that the hard way.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:33 AM

It comes down to how you evaluate his range. If you've been reraising him constantly and he's been showing down a fairly wide range/less than premiums, this flop has to be bet at. He could well be calling you with something like QJs or 98s, and you need to protect your hand. Catch is, all these draws, QJs, 98s, or Axs are all coinflips and a decent player should be playing them exactly like a set/2-pair here (yay FE...).

If his range is mostly PP (and he's fairly aggro/floats), then I like a SNG. You'll catch some extra money from weaker PP, and you'll hopefully take it down on the turn.

IMHO, turning your hand into a bluff here really isn't that bad. In this situation, OOP and reraised, if money starts flying, this is not a hand you can show down and reasonably expect to win. It does have some very good showdown value, but honestly, I'd be happier taking it down either here or on the turn. Really, I can't see many hands willing to call you down in a RR pot that you beat.

So as I see it, either villian's range is something you can extract one last bet from (SNG), or villian's range is something that needs protection from (and those are all coinflips and will play like monsters). Decide if you want to showdown and then play to get there cheap or if you want to take it down now and bet hard.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 AM

Also, I like the PF RR better than calling. This is a hand that is probably better than villian's button range, but one that needs to figure out quickly where it stands. Playing this OOP I suppose depends on your relative PF skills, but its too weak to really try and retake the initative from here and too strong to play passively on a wet board like this.

I'd rather try and give myself two chances to take it down by raising PF and then CBing. I don't want to stack off, but I want to get some extra money and I want to back button off for raising so lightly on my BB.