Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Gap Trading & Investing Forums

My brother, a senior at West Point, has asked me if I want to help him do gap trading with Dow futures. Each West Point student receives $30,000 their junior year to spend as they like. However, the firewalls on the WP network don't allow the software (Tradestation) needed to do the gap trading, so that's where I come in.

Despite graduating college in May with a double Accounting & Finance degree, I don't have any trading experience, let alone trading gaps.

I've subscribed to a two-week subscription to TradeTheMarkets.com, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience trading gaps.

More generally, I was also wondering if anyone knows of any good investing forums that I could browse for advice. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Gap Trading & Investing Forums

[ QUOTE ]
My brother, a senior at West Point, has asked me if I want to help him do gap trading with Dow futures. Each West Point student receives $30,000 their junior year to spend as they like. However, the firewalls on the WP network don't allow the software (Tradestation) needed to do the gap trading, so that's where I come in.

Despite graduating college in May with a double Accounting & Finance degree, I don't have any trading experience, let alone trading gaps.

I've subscribed to a two-week subscription to TradeTheMarkets.com, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience trading gaps.

More generally, I was also wondering if anyone knows of any good investing forums that I could browse for advice. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, my girlfriend's brother graduated from west point this year. i went to the graduation and am very good friends with him.

no west point student gets $30k from the government their junior year.

they get room and board paid for by the govt in addition to their entire 4 year education. for that, they owe 5 years of service to the govt.

my gf's brother is now stationed in texas.

whatever your friend told you about "getting 30k" is absolutely ridiculously false. do you really think the govt just hands out that kind of money to college kids that they are already completely paying for their education?

they get a certain amt of money to live and what not for room/board/food etc., but noway do they get a lump sum payment of $30k in their junior year.

Barron
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM

ok, guess i didn't explain the 30K very well.

it's a loan with a very low interest rate

it's called the "cow" (WP juniors are called cows) loan.

edit: have you ever heard of the book "Absolutely American"?
It's a great book about life at WP. It also addresses the Cow Loan, touching on the variety of outlets the students choose to spend the money on (cars, investing, etc).
Old 10-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Eh, if your brother already has a strategy mapped out for use in TS, why not just open an account, import the code, and just run the system at your place?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:34 PM

he does have a strategy, but i know he doesn't have any experience putting it into use, and frankly, the strategy sounds a little too good to be true.

Here's some statistics he gave me:

Gap fill chances during the week:

Monday – 65%
Tuesday – 77%
Wednesday – 79%
Thursday – 82%
Friday – 78%

Also, gap fill chances given initial gap:

1pt = 10 Dow Points
1pt – 93%
2pt – 90%
3pt – 82%
4pt – 86%
5pt – 60%
6pt – 77%
7pt – 71%
8pt – 54%

So I guess what I'm wondering is if gaps generally fill, why isn't everyone doing this?

Also, are there any quality investing forums with good content I could check out? Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he does have a strategy, but i know he doesn't have any experience putting it into use, and frankly, the strategy sounds a little too good to be true.

Here's some statistics he gave me:

Gap fill chances during the week:

Monday – 65%
Tuesday – 77%
Wednesday – 79%
Thursday – 82%
Friday – 78%

Also, gap fill chances given initial gap:

1pt = 10 Dow Points
1pt – 93%
2pt – 90%
3pt – 82%
4pt – 86%
5pt – 60%
6pt – 77%
7pt – 71%
8pt – 54%

So I guess what I'm wondering is if gaps generally fill, why isn't everyone doing this?

Also, are there any quality investing forums with good content I could check out? Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conspicuous by its absence is any mention of the size of the winning trades vs the losers. There are many trading strategies that rack up a high percent of small winning trades but the few losers are much bigger and wipe out all the profit from the winning trades. One of the more common things people have been doing that fit this profile is selling naked index puts, it works great until you get caught by a sell off. Just ask Victor Niederhoffer, rumor is he has now blown out his second hedge fund doing just that.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM

ssh tunnel + proxy server?