Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Sklansky concedes religious debate o rly?

[ QUOTE ]
Albert Einstein (the smartest man who ever lived) said it himself about how anybody on this earth who thinks this all just fell into place without a God to create is an idiot, that it was very irrational for anybody to believe that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you even have the slightest clue of what you're talking about?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Einstein + God.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:35 PM

LOL at people who think Einstein believed in God.

When will they ever learn?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll go ahead and say what needs to be said about David Sklansky and his lack of religious views and of those who have them being less intelligent, he's a flat out idiot in this aspect of his life. He may be one of the smartest people in other areas of life, but as far as religion and his views on it he's an idiot.

Albert Einstein (the smartest man who ever lived) said it himself about how anybody on this earth who thinks this all just fell into place without a God to create is an idiot, that it was very irrational for anybody to believe that.

Also I would challenge Mr. Sklansky to cite reasons for people in emergency rooms who have died for a period of 1-2 minutes and were revived, why have their been several reports of people screaming to the doctor "Please save me, I don't want to go back there"(Hell)? Along with people like Johnny Cash being brought back to life and crying because he didn't want to come back to earth because he had seen the beauty of heaven and didn't want to leave? If Mr. Sklansky can have anything to say on why all this is stupid and he's smarter than Albert Einstein I'd love to hear it.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've been to church and all, and I'm not a big religious nut or anything like that, but I do have beliefs in God and Jesus Christ and heaven and hell that I think are rational and I'm not less intelligent for having them. Also what a sad life to live not thinking there is a God and that once you die that's it, your soul doesn't live on. Seems depressing to me but everybody's entitled to their own opinion about God and the afterlife, I'm just glad I have mine instead of Sklansky's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seriously think Einstein was religious do you? Or that he had anything even resembling respect or sympathy for religion?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:40 PM

No, never said Einstein was religious nor did I ever say that Einstein was God. Just said it was his belief that their was a God who created all this and that God did exist. I believe he also said that he didn't believe that there was a God with whom humans had a personal relationship with, just that there was a God and that was it. So no I never said he was religious, only that he believed there is a God. And I'm pretty certain I know what I'm talking about. This is how it was explained to me to people who are in seminary colleges and all that this is one of the facts they learn when discussing God and who he is and about non believers, that Einstein even admitted his belief in their being a God.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Default You call constantly reminding God that He favors YOU openminded ?

" ..maybe just MAYBE , being open minded instead of judgmental and closed minded may have some benefit as well."

Or maybe, being close minded in a particular way may have some benefit .... Clearly, Mr. Yang, who deserves props for winning the WSOP Main Event, is of the mind that God favors him over 8 other players at the final table. He even expressly TELLS God that, just in case God did not know or forgot.... That wasn't open-minded, it was pretty damn judgmental and sought to remind Him who He should be rearranging the turn card for.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:48 PM

From the article

Early in his life Einstein came to refer to God as "cosmic intelligence" which he did not think of in a personal but in a "super-personal" way, for, as he learned from Spinoza, the term "personal" when applied to human beings cannot as such be applied to God. 12 Nevertheless he resorted to the Jewish-Christian way of speaking of God who reveals himself in an ineffable way as truth which is its own certainty. Spinoza held that "truth is its own standard". "Truth is the criterion of itself and of the false, as light reveals itself and darkness," so that "he who has a true idea, simultaneously knows that he has a true idea, and cannot doubt concerning the truth of the thing perceived." 13 Hence once a thing is understood it goes on manifesting itself in the power of its own truth without having to provide for further proof. 14 Thus when God reveals himself to our minds, our understanding of him is carried forward by the intrinsic force of his truth as it continually impinges on our minds and presses for fuller realization within them.

In this way Einstein thought of God as revealing himself in the wonderful harmony and rational beauty of the universe, which calls for a mode of non-conceptual intuitive response in humility, wonder and awe which he associated with science and art. It was particularly in relation to science itself, however, that Einstein felt and cultivated that sense of wonder and awe. Once when Ernest Gordon, Dean of Princeton University Chapel, was asked by a fellow Scot, the photographer Alan Richards, how he could explain Einstein's combination of great intellect with apparent simplicity, he said, "I think it was his sense of reverence." 15 That was very true: Einstein's religious and scientific instinct were one and the same, for behind both it was his reverent intuition for God, his unabated awe at the thoughts of "the Old One", that was predominent.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM

One of the things that really sets me off is the intolerance, condescension, and ignorance towards religion from many of the admittedly intelligent people on this forum. Being religious does not signify stupidity, an inability to perform well in math or IQ tests, or that one has been brainwashed. It also does not mean that one believes in any particular religion, set of beliefs, or god. Some people have an inner religion created from their personal beliefs, their life experiences, and their own interpretation of the universe.

I do not agree with or respect anyone who forces their beliefs on others or treats others with disrespect because they do not agree with their opinions on such matters, no matter how intelligent they may be. That includes ignorant advocates of specific religions just as much as atheists. And I am not a religious man.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM

You're misinterpretting what Einstein said about God, and his defintion of God. Many of his quotes on God have been taken out of context by both/all sides.

For the record, I wouldn't just believe in God/Jesus/heaven/hell just to be able to hope that I'm right when it's all over, or just because it sounds nice. I'd rather believe in something that can be proven, or there is evidence for, rather than a false hope.

At the moment, not one religion has proven that there exists God(s) - I am an atheist. I have found my own beliefs in how things came to be through science and mathematics.

By the way, you'd probably be interested in reincarnation, with the logic that I'm guessing you're using to believe what you believe. Wouldn't it be nicer to come back and do it all over again, than to have a soul that just ends up in heaven. You'd take an eternal paradise it seems. Good luck getting in, just make sure you've met the cut!

If Sklansky did say what sheets accuses him of saying, then Sklansky is WAYYY wrong, and he would be an idiot to honestly feel that no one of Mr. Yang's religious devoutness could win the main event due to an inferior ability to reason critically. Nonsense!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things that really sets me off is the intolerance, condescension, and ignorance towards religion from many of the admittedly intelligent people on this forum. Being religious does not signify stupidity, an inability to perform well in math or IQ tests, or that one has been brainwashed. It also does not mean that one believes in any particular religion, set of beliefs, or god. Some people have an inner religion created from their personal beliefs, their life experiences, and their own interpretation of the universe.

I do not agree with or respect anyone who forces their beliefs on others or treats others with disrespect because they do not agree with their opinions on such matters, no matter how intelligent they may be. That includes ignorant advocates of specific religions just as much as atheists. And I am not a religious man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are confusing being religious with being spiritual.

Being 'religious' DOES mean that you belong to a specific religion, etc. and religions are what most people, myself included, have problems with.