Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Sklansky concedes religious debate o rly?

[ QUOTE ]
danny, do you know who sheets is?

serious business question

[/ QUOTE ]

Srsrly who is he?

He's like the god of donkaments you have to sacrifice goats to, right?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rev Sklansky has made light of those with sincere religious beliefs and has made assertions that such beliefs are somehow negatively correlated with one's ability to thnk critically, to perform well in math tests, and at least by implication, with one's ability to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most religious people are intuitive feelers (rather than intuitive thinkers) either primarily or secondarily and none of them can think critically as far as intuitive thinking goes, other than when it comes to feelings where they top all intuitive thinkers. The best poker players in the world are at least as often intuitive feelers when it comes to big bet poker and all of them can additionally think well enough (sensoric thinking, including logic) as far as poker goes. There are also intuitive thinkers, including professors, who are religious in a fuller way. What comes to math and success in school, many intuitive feelers top intuitive thinkers at all subjects; also at the university level on their own areas (science mainly being their weaker point but that depends of the science).
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rev Sklansky has made light of those with sincere religious beliefs and has made assertions that such beliefs are somehow negatively correlated with one's ability to thnk critically, to perform well in math tests, and at least by implication, with one's ability to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most religious people are intuitive feelers (rather than intuitive thinkers) either primarily or secondarily and none of them can think critically as far as intuitive thinking goes, other than when it comes to feelings where they top all intuitive thinkers. The best poker players in the world are at least as often intuitive feelers when it comes to big bet poker and all of them can additionally think well enough (sensoric thinking, including logic) as far as poker goes. There are also intuitive thinkers, including professors, who are religious in a fuller way. What comes to math and success in school, many intuitive feelers top intuitive thinkers at all subjects; also at the university level on their own areas (science mainly being their weaker point but that depends of the science).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/
Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
danny, do you know who sheets is?

serious business question

[/ QUOTE ]

srs bsnss question:

Does sheets know who DannyOcean_ is? Cause not knowing could cause trouble.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I seriously did not mean to level Mr. Sklansky, whatever that means, but in my stidies I often come across individuals who are remarkably loud with their theories and then when empirical evidence emerges which contradicts their hypotheses they remain painfully quiet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though not conclusive, it is well known that there is empirical evidence that religiosity is negatively correlated to IQ.

I assume Prof. Haber possesses sufficient IQ to know that nobody who accepts this correlation (including Mr. Sklansky) claims that there doesn't exist very intelligent religious individuals, including some who can win a big donkament.

(Not that it requires great intelligence to win a donkament, as I have shown.)
Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM

IQ and religion has nothing to do with it. If your measuring the IQ's of criminals that now found religion the results would be skewed in the favor of someone with a low IQ.

There are folks that are religious and folks that are not. If folks live their lives as their religion dictates, then I have respect for them. If they don't then they get none. I.E. Jimmy Swaggert, and lots of others.

Does religion have a place in poker? As long as you don't attempt to comvert someone while the game is going on, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Yang's switching of gears on the final table was a wise tactical decision. He set it up by being a tight player and used that to his advantage. No one wanted to confront him until it was too late.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IQ and religion has nothing to do with it. If your measuring the IQ's of criminals that now found religion the results would be skewed in the favor of someone with a low IQ.

There are folks that are religious and folks that are not. If folks live their lives as their religion dictates, then I have respect for them. If they don't then they get none. I.E. Jimmy Swaggert, and lots of others.

Does religion have a place in poker? As long as you don't attempt to comvert someone while the game is going on, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Yang's switching of gears on the final table was a wise tactical decision. He set it up by being a tight player and used that to his advantage. No one wanted to confront him until it was too late.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hilariously not the point.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:57 PM

I'll go ahead and say what needs to be said about David Sklansky and his lack of religious views and of those who have them being less intelligent, he's a flat out idiot in this aspect of his life. He may be one of the smartest people in other areas of life, but as far as religion and his views on it he's an idiot.

Albert Einstein (the smartest man who ever lived) said it himself about how anybody on this earth who thinks this all just fell into place without a God to create is an idiot, that it was very irrational for anybody to believe that.

Also I would challenge Mr. Sklansky to cite reasons for people in emergency rooms who have died for a period of 1-2 minutes and were revived, why have their been several reports of people screaming to the doctor "Please save me, I don't want to go back there"(Hell)? Along with people like Johnny Cash being brought back to life and crying because he didn't want to come back to earth because he had seen the beauty of heaven and didn't want to leave? If Mr. Sklansky can have anything to say on why all this is stupid and he's smarter than Albert Einstein I'd love to hear it.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've been to church and all, and I'm not a big religious nut or anything like that, but I do have beliefs in God and Jesus Christ and heaven and hell that I think are rational and I'm not less intelligent for having them. Also what a sad life to live not thinking there is a God and that once you die that's it, your soul doesn't live on. Seems depressing to me but everybody's entitled to their own opinion about God and the afterlife, I'm just glad I have mine instead of Sklansky's.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:31 PM

lol
Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 PM

so you're trying to say that albert einstein is god?