Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Basic question about low PP in EP

I've been working on my limit game at the .50/$1 6max tables on Full Tilt after quitting limit poker for the past 18 months or so... used to play $2/$4 6max on Stars a while ago but I'm not even sure if I was a winning player. Anyway so I've played my first 10k hands or so and have been running pretty well at 3BB/100... if anyone has seen me play on Full Tilt and has anything to say it would be appreciated.

Anyway on to the question... one of the situations that I've been confused in is sitting UTG or UTG+1 with hands like 22-66. 77+ I'll almost always raise, but I'm not sure its +EV to be raising these really low pairs in early position. I'm pretty sure limping is horrible so I've typically just been throwing them into the muck preflop. Anyone have any insight on this situation which seems to come up quite often?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Basic question about low PP in EP

[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on my limit game at the .50/$1 6max tables on Full Tilt after quitting limit poker for the past 18 months or so... used to play $2/$4 6max on Stars a while ago but I'm not even sure if I was a winning player. Anyway so I've played my first 10k hands or so and have been running pretty well at 3BB/100... if anyone has seen me play on Full Tilt and has anything to say it would be appreciated.

Anyway on to the question... one of the situations that I've been confused in is sitting UTG or UTG+1 with hands like 22-66. 77+ I'll almost always raise, but I'm not sure its +EV to be raising these really low pairs in early position. I'm pretty sure limping is horrible so I've typically just been throwing them into the muck preflop. Anyone have any insight on this situation which seems to come up quite often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping EP with low PP is fine if you are in a loose passive game, as you will probably get several callers behind you. If you're in a "normal" game (i.e., not too aggressive), I think that a good general strategy is to raise 66+ UTG and 55+ UTG+1, and muck the rest. In a really crazy game, I might limit my raises from both positions to 77+, and muck the rest.

-Brass
Old 04-15-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Basic question about low PP in EP

I agree with Brass

If the game is REALLY loose. Like 70/5 VPIP/PFR averages, you can open limp low pairs and good suited connectors.

However, such games are rare and in most games you should come in with a raise. Around 66-77 is a good cutoff range in medium loose micro stakes. At higher stakes 55 and even 44 can prolly be played with a bit of profit.