Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Cold Balls

I plan on playing through the winter when most rounds will be under 50 degrees.

What type of ball do I want, or will it even matter..everything will go 2 clubs less than in the summer?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Cold Balls

Get a few hand warmers and keep a few balls mixed in with them in a small pocket in your bag.

I'm sure some balls are better than others (compression wise), but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a few hand warmers and keep a few balls mixed in with them in a small pocket in your bag.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, not allowed. It is against the rules to artificially warm your golf balls during the round. However, golf balls can be artificially warmed before the round.

Just keep an extra ball in your pocket during the round and rotate the balls every hole or so.

BO
Old 10-06-2007, 12:52 AM

It is the shafts that are most important. Rub your towel up and down the shaft a couple times before each shot. Helps keep distance control and if you do catch one thin is way better on the hands.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:56 AM

play low compression balls

also, if you are playing in the colder weather, are you really that concerned about score? if you are worried about what you can and cannot do, check a rule book. altho a rule book probly wont help you. read the 300 page decision book on what to do when it gets cold.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
play low compression balls

also, if you are playing in the colder weather, are you really that concerned about score? if you are worried about what you can and cannot do, check a rule book. altho a rule book probly wont help you. read the 300 page decision book on what to do when it gets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going low this winter. Although I won't be able to decrease my handicap after OCt 31st.

Low compression, I guess that makes sense. When it gets colder, the soft will get a bit harder. But the other balls that have higher compression with warmer temps, will become too compressed.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_106995762
******************* TWO-PIECE LOW COMPRESSION

Examples: Dunlop LoCo; Maxfli Noodle; Nike Power Distance Super Soft; Precept Lady and Laddie; Titleist DT SoLo. Price range: $15-$25 a dozen.

Upside: Because they're easier to compress, low-compression balls can improve distance for moderate swing speeds. Some balls in this category offer low spin to improve accuracy and softer covers to improve feel.

Downside: Soft feel may not translate into more spin on short greenside shots.

Expert advice: "The cores are more resilient while keeping the compression soft."--Dean Snell, senior director of research and development for TaylorMade.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What type of ball do I want, or will it even matter..everything will go 2 clubs less than in the summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

General consensus around here is the Maxfli Noodle is a pretty good low compression choice when it is cold.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

General consensus around here is the Maxfli Noodle is a pretty good low compression choice when it is cold.

[/ QUOTE ]