Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: assani ruining the SE forum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from all the onlaught and countdown stuff, which is basically him not realizing that 2p2 is not a good target for this, the reason that Assani isn't liked in SE is that he makes a lot of controversial arguments that go against the common 2p2 groupthink of solely using a few advanced statistical measures to make your point. Usually, when someone tries to argue that Brady is better than Manning, it's easy for someone like Sublime or Thayer to respond with "haha, dvoa blah blah, youre an idiot." However, that doesn't work on Assani because he is calm, relentless and attacks those numbers with at least some semblance of logic. That means that they can't shut him up, and actually have to work a little to defend their arguments as opposed to making a standard one-line insult. I'm not saying these guys aren't smart or don't know what they're talking about, but compare their feelings on Assani to the feelings of people who usually make civil, thought-out posts like Tuq and PokerFink.

[/ QUOTE ]
See that is the ideal Assani, but in reality he makes ridiculous arguments where he contradicts himself. A really good example of this is the Nash thread (I'm too lazy to dig them up because there are 893498398443948 of them). Where he argues Nash is valuable because of X and Kobe isn't valuable for the same X.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not saying his logic is flawless and he likely has condradicted himself before, but it's hard not to trip up somewhere when you make as many long posts as he does. I'm sure if I went through everyone's posts, virtually no one would be perfectly consistent, but Assani is an easy target because he stands out so much. I'm just amazed that so many people want to ban someone who makes detailed arguments, defends them when called out on, isn't afraid to admit when he's wrong, and posts in a civilized manner.

Note that I usually disagree with what he says and find it frustrating that the more knowledgable people in SE often can't win against him.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM

Alright I guess its time to chime in again to defend myself.

First off...

I am not a troll. I define a troll as someone who doesn't care about having a good debate or a worthwhile conversation but who just wants up upset and anger people. First off, I think its clear by my posts that I love to debate and get into it, especially regarding sports(however, I did provide a few links to quality non-sports discussions in that group of links in my above post too).

Regarding upsetting people and angering them, I'll be completely honest here...that was never my initial intention and I still don't go out of my way to do it, but it does make me laugh to see people take petty things so seriously. I really just don't understand it.

Can I ask you guys an honest question? For all the people that seem to be greatly bothered by me....suppose that I went and started another onslaught thread in OOT and I clearly labeled the title of the thread as "onslaught." Why exactly would this bother you? Why can you not just choose not to click on it? Honestly I'm absolutely baffled by this. I'm especially baffled by this since this is a poker board where patience and self control are preached as virtues of a good poker player.

The bottom line is that I'm just a laid back guy who doesn't take things too seriously. Yes including Juan Dixon and George Muresan(sp?) in the poll for best perimeter defender was a joke...but as you can see, I still posted a quality OP and started a good debate in that thread. The joke didn't detract from the discussion at all. Thats basically what you get with me- some good debate mixed in with some offbeat humor that some people love and some people hate. YOu may have gotten a chuckle out of my including them in the poll; You may have thought it was a horrible joke...regardless, is that really a reason to hate me? Does it really detract from the discussion I presented?

Now let me say that I can understand how it can be annoying if good threads are derailed by people asking me about the countdown. I apologzie for this, and I promise to simply point people to this thread in the future if they ever ask about it in another thread. I should've created a thread in this forum from the beginning to do this. Again, I was wrong here and I apologize for this.

Pudge and FlyWf, I guess you guys are proof that you can't please everyone. I love basketball and I love to debate it. I AM GLAD THAT YOU GUYS DON'T SEE EYE TO EYE WITH ME BECUASE THAT MAKES THINGS INTERESTING. BUT IT SEEMS AS IF YOU GUYS ARE JUST THE OPPOSITE- YOU DON'T LIKE ME BECAUSE I DISAGREE WITH YOU AND YOU DON'T FEEL AS IF MY LOGIC IS AS SOUND AS YOURS. THIS BAFFLES ME. However, I will note that you are definitely in the minority. I feel as if quite a large number of people have told me that they love me as an NBA poster. This was confirmed to me when everyone went way out of their way to invite me to be in their basketball fantasy league. Money for me was tight at the time as I had just moved, and Dave Clark even offered to pay my entry to get me in the league.

Regardless, I'll be the first to admit that I can be wrong at times and that like anyone I can contradict myself from time to time. I never said that I'm never wrong, so I feel as if its really unfair for you to sit back and nitpick at my mistakes. I post a ton of content in that forum, so I'm sure that I swing and miss on my fair share. Nevertheless, if you take the 5 most respected NFL and NBA posters(remove me from consideration from this list) I feel as if they would speak highly of my arguments in general. The reason that I feel this way about myself is precisely becuase I am open to critique and changing my ways. I have no problem saying that I've learned a lot from guys like PokerFink(NFL) or DaveClark(NBA) and changed my views due to what they've said. I feel as if this ability to admit fault and change is what makes me a solid SE poster.(btw, PF and DC were just two names of the top of my head....no offense to those not mentioned).

In closing...

I really don't know what else I can say. Please just don't take me too seriously. Much of what I say is a joke. But I don't intend to be hated or to piss people off. I'm honestly still completely at a loss trying to understand how anyone could actually get upset over something so petty as a countdown at the bottom of a post....its mind boggling to me. I don't want any undue attention; I just want to debate and have a good time. Icy pots fellas.

Assani

103,196 and counting
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from all the onlaught and countdown stuff, which is basically him not realizing that 2p2 is not a good target for this, the reason that Assani isn't liked in SE is that he makes a lot of controversial arguments that go against the common 2p2 groupthink of solely using a few advanced statistical measures to make your point. Usually, when someone tries to argue that Brady is better than Manning, it's easy for someone like Sublime or Thayer to respond with "haha, dvoa blah blah, youre an idiot." However, that doesn't work on Assani because he is calm, relentless and attacks those numbers with at least some semblance of logic. That means that they can't shut him up, and actually have to work a little to defend their arguments as opposed to making a standard one-line insult. I'm not saying these guys aren't smart or don't know what they're talking about, but compare their feelings on Assani to the feelings of people who usually make civil, thought-out posts like Tuq and PokerFink.

[/ QUOTE ]
See that is the ideal Assani, but in reality he makes ridiculous arguments where he contradicts himself. A really good example of this is the Nash thread (I'm too lazy to dig them up because there are 893498398443948 of them). Where he argues Nash is valuable because of X and Kobe isn't valuable for the same X.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not saying his logic is flawless and he likely has condradicted himself before, but it's hard not to trip up somewhere when you make as many long posts as he does. I'm sure if I went through everyone's posts, virtually no one would be perfectly consistent, but Assani is an easy target because he stands out so much. I'm just amazed that so many people want to ban someone who makes detailed arguments, defends them when called out on, isn't afraid to admit when he's wrong, and posts in a civilized manner.

Note that I usually disagree with what he says and find it frustrating that the more knowledgable people in SE often can't win against him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually sums up my points perfectly(and much better said). And you're correct- I have been wrong a ton in the past and probably will continue to be wrong in the future...I post a lot and am often opinionated, so its only natural.

103,195 and counting
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suppose that I went and started another onslaught thread in OOT and I clearly labeled the title of the thread as "onslaught." Why exactly would this bother you? Why can you not just choose not to click on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

One short answer is that the presence of something I don't want to read on the front page kicks something I do want to read off the front page.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
suppose that I went and started another onslaught thread in OOT and I clearly labeled the title of the thread as "onslaught." Why exactly would this bother you? Why can you not just choose not to click on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

One short answer is that the presence of something I don't want to read on the front page kicks something I do want to read off the front page.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds of this are low at best.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He already did that once anyway, the second time he started a bs onslaught thread in oot.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sublime, so just checking, but in your mind having some numbers at the end of your posts = horrible trolling? but mercilessly attacking colts fans to the point that I have realistically considered just temp-banning you during all colts games = totally ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

um did i complain that you banned me for that period? i was out of line. also it was ONE GAME i did it. also its not trolling, its calling edge an idiot. he is.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from all the onlaught and countdown stuff, which is basically him not realizing that 2p2 is not a good target for this

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that there has been a ton of bitching, two threads in ATF and a demodding as a result of the countdown all speak volumes for the fact that 2p2 is very much the right place for the countdown.

Assuming that the reason for the "ruining the forum" posts is largely the result of the countdown, Id say the blame falls more on the people who take the bait than Assani himself. Its like the Simpsons halloween episode, where all bad ads will go away if you "just dont look." The fact that people seem unable to realize this just makes it awesome.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont read SE much, so Im curious: how much of this is him making poor posts in SE, and how much is it just the signature?

[/ QUOTE ]

its just the sig for me. him not posting a link last night set me off, but the sig is probably what fueled even that.

i like assani as a poster oddly enough.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone explain the whole "icy pots" thing? I've always wondered about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Some mod gave him the title, someone has to know.