Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Overcoming my fear of A-rag

Late in tournaments, knowing how to play A-rag is like so [censored] key. It's funny because I can push Qh6h and JQ and 105o, but with A2o, I pussy out. I hate it because I've read all the materials saying when to push with it, and when not to, but it FEELS like everytime I make a play with it, it's doink da doink, I'm dominated. I love "live" cards, but with A-rag, I am so psychologically repulsed by being dominated, that I fold it. How do I overcome this? I mean, I've started to play with pokerstove, but besides that?

Barry
Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Re: Overcoming my fear of A-rag

Take emotion out of the equation. Figure villain's calling range and push hands that are +EV. You should play sngs, you'll get this out of your system real quick lol.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 AM

T5o v AQs, you have live cards and are 30.9% to win

A5o v ATo, you are "dominated" and are 29.9% to win

Domination isn't as terrible as it sounds. Keep playing w/ stove and you'll get past it v quickly.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take emotion out of the equation. Figure villain's calling range and push hands that are +EV. You should play sngs, you'll get this out of your system real quick lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also like to add that if you find you're tentative about pushing A4o with an M of 4 folded to you in the sb with a tight bb, take some time off. This is a form of tilt. I find that I play my worst when I don't make correct aggressive +EV decisions because my AQ just lost to AJ for the bazillionth time in a row.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 AM

Difficult to answer because you are not always going to push with it. Depends how late in tourney, position, how many players left, chip stacks, limpers or raisers in before you?

You really would be better posting hands and getting feedback on particular situations. There is not a "one rule fits all" answer
Old 09-18-2007, 09:21 AM

My one rule fits all answer, if i have 10bb or less, (or only gambling with 10bb or less, due to the shorties to act), I will shove A rag, 22+, etc.

No thoughts, no emotions, just shove the puppy!

Obviously, it usually gets folded if someone has called, and tossed almost immediately vs a raise.

So (&(%(&#@*%&(*$%& simple
Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 AM

Ye I really feel with live cards much better as well. But then again I don't play tournament but only cash games and therefore I never even get to the point when I push with A rag unless I am bluffing.