Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Should I have done anything differently here?

I've been reading 2+2 faithfully for more than a year, but this is my first post...I am only able to play 2-3 times a week (sometimes more, sometimes less), and not always for long periods of time. So...I'm still a beginner, but I'm trying to learn.

Anyway, I was just fooling around earlier today, and had this hand. I was rivered, but I was wondering if I should have played it differently at any point.

Since I've been trying to think seriously about the theory behind the game lately (just finished SSHE by Miller/Sklansky/Malmuth), when this hand popped up, I thought today would be a good day to finally sign up (been meaning to for ages) and see what you all thought.

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.04 Limit Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="red">BTN 3-bets</font>, <font color="red">SB caps</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, CO calls, BTN calls

Flop: (17 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="red">BTN 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="red">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BTN calls, SB calls

Turn: (16.5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BTN calls, SB calls

River: (20.5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BTN calls, SB folds

Results: 23.5 BB Pot (1 BB Rake)
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Aces) and LOST (-6 BB NET)
CO mucked A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and LOST (-6 BB NET)
BTN showed K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Kings) and WON 22.5 BB (+16.5 BB NET)
Old 10-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Should I have done anything differently here?

you played this perfect
Old 10-19-2007, 01:25 PM

I put BTN on AK as soon as I read the flop line here.

Check the turn, if the flush doesn't hit, drop the hand.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:26 PM

BTW it helps us alot if you post bet amounts in the HH
Old 10-19-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW it helps us alot if you post bet amounts in the HH

[/ QUOTE ]

.02/.04 Limit
Old 10-19-2007, 01:31 PM

You had top pair with a good kicker and the nut flush draw. You technically didn't get rivered but there was nothing bad with your play, just a bit unlucky.

Oh and btw, it's best not to put the results in your original post. Leave off at the point where you felt uncertain about what to do.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You had top pair with a good kicker and the nut flush draw. You technically didn't get rivered but there was nothing bad with your play, just a bit unlucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, I didn't get rivered, he was ahead anyway. Not sure why I wrote that.

Maybe I could have put him on AK earlier, but I had top pair, 2nd kicker and the nut flush draw. Felt like I had to bet it out...and that's why I posted the hand. Wondering if there was something I missed that I shouldn't have.

Thanks for the responses so far, btw.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:42 PM

If you've seen this player as being very solid so far then maybe I'd bet a bit less. The fact that there was another guy in the hand with A7 to the end should say something about your competition in general at these limits. The guy with the AK could have very easily had AJ or AT. I usually make a note on guys who will call down (or in NL, stack off) with top pair, no kicker.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM

I think you played it fine. You couldve slowed down on the river, since the flush didnt come.. and check/call, but I'm not folding if BTN bets. Surprised BTN didnt raise the river.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:45 PM

This is normal hand for that limit. Button is the only other decent player in this hand although I don't know why he didn't raise the turn (or the river for that matter).

I don't mind betting the river. Button gave you no indication he had you beat on the turn and with the other just calling as well, I see no reason to suspect a set or two pair. I think by the river, it should be clear that AK is the only hand that is beating you and no raise on the turn would make AK less likely.

If you didn't show the reslts, I would have guessed you were against guys with the same hand but weaker kickers.