Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-20-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Live 20/40 Middle set, and lots of action...

Did you see Howard play a hand worse than AK? Just wondering.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like when I raised in 2nd position with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with one or two walkers, and she cold called behind me, and instantly mucked her pocket pair on a AKx flop, no imagination whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal. As if she knew you had Q high.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM

yeah this whole thread makes my head explode
Old 11-20-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd stick with my 11 bet theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your "11 bet theory" is arbitrary and doesn't make any logical sense.

The whole point here is that if the guy doesn't have TT, then he could easily have one of several draws, or even a super draw or combo draw. In some cases, even if he has 8 high, he might think he has the best of it on the flop with 2 cards to come. He might even be doing the right thing to go on endlessly even if he assigns some certain percentage chance of a set to your range.

But he might be getting frisky with a simple flush draw or straight draw, thinking he's doing the right thing, or the right table image thing. Who knows?

No one knows, and that's why it doesn't make a lot of sense to come up with a specific number of bets here.

But for sure, if he keeps it up on the turn when no draw comes in, then we know he can't think he's betting a draw for value any more.

On the flop, keep variance in mind. If you care, go a little lower, if not go a little higher.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this case there was an additional reason to stop raising, I think, that you left out of your post. Perhaps you didn't remember it. I think that maybe you didn't catch it's import while being caught up in the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, Howard, what are you referring to here?

thx,
dan

[/ QUOTE ]

At about 7 bets villain looked at OP's chips and said something like: 'How much you got there? You want to go all-in? Anyway I'm not going to stop raising.' He'd already been shoveling the chips in as fast as he could. Anyway, OP stopped at 11 then called down. I don't know if it's my place to say so but Garland is a nice fellow and hopefully he won't mind if I mention that villain had the 10's.

To CG: Hah! I played that night as if I worked at a laundromat. Fold, fold, fold, fold, lose w/ JJ, fold, fold, fold, fold, lose again w/ JJ (I think I had Jacks 5 times), fold, fold, fold.........

It was a bad night for the good players.
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you see Howard play a hand worse than AK? Just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, watch for the trip report in Brick and Mortar.

Garland
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Thoughts...since results were already given

Thoughts:

There are a couple of people who said they wouldn't classify him as a "super-lag". Well, I distinctly remember saying he wasn't a maniac. But he definitely has a tendency to overplay his hands as demonstrated by the 98o and my QQ hand (come on, when a TAG SB woman 3-bets and I cap pre-flop and raise on the flop on a 9 high board, how can you possibly 3 bet with anything that can't beat my overpair?)

I omitted the fact villain wanted to shove around the 8 bet mark or so on purpose. I guess I should have figured it out, but I wasn't convinced he wasn't overplaying T9, 33 or a superdraw.

Maybe I just gave enough action. Maybe I gave him a bit too much action, but I guess I'm glad I didn't stack off, and I guess I'm happy this hand wasn't played in a no-limit format.

There was another hand where I wasn't sure if I pushed it too far or not far enough given my opponent's tendencies:

20/40 bottom set hand from 2/21/2006 vs "Action Joe" Nguyen

Garland