Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Wrap at $50PL - blank turn

I'm new to Omaha, what should be my play on the turn if it blanks and I have been the aggressor in the hand? This is 3 handed. I haven't won a pot in quite a few minutes. The deck seems to be hitting villans in the face. Pattern of play has been me raise in position / bet flop, and then maybe turn,: check on either turn or river as I've been misisng or only have weak 2 pair etc and then fold fold to their pot sized bets on turn/river. I have the feeling they are taking pots away from me.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
3 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Button: $65.05
SB: $95.35
Hero: $53.05

Pre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button raises to $1.75, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]($5.25, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $5.25, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($21, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $14, Button folds, SB calls.

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($49, 2 players)
SB bets $16, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $16 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $49
Old 12-31-2006, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Wrap at $50PL - blank turn

1. Check and *maybe* call the flop. You do not have a big pot hand. You have an ok straight draw (8 nut outs) and there is no reason to lead out, especially since the button is likely to raise you with hands that kill a lot of your outs (AA with diamonds, 9TJQ, etc, etc)..

2. Check fold the turn. You are going to be in a very tenous spot on the river, facing a bet in a large pot when you make your straight and it makes a 3 flush the majority of the time.

3. If you do happen to get to the river as you did here, calling a $16 bet in a $65 pot is much much better than folding. You only need to win 24.6% of the time on the river to make this call.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 AM

Flop: Bet is sometimes ok. However in the spot you've described it seems quite bad. You have loose agresssive opponents that will make this hand hard for you unless you end up having the nuts.

Turn: You don't have even a pair and they are propably not folding. No need to bet. When you've decided to bet make it pot sized. You desperately want fold here.

River: Call. Fold is also viable option, but the price is too low to fold.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Check and *maybe* call the flop. You do not have a big pot hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Rempel. 3 handed if you think you are getting run over, then I would wait until I had something better to call down just to keep them honest.

Also, if you feel like they are abusing you, on a flop where you had a pair, (top is best) and two good draws (they don't have to be nut), I'd check raise them and push the hand if they played back. You'll probaby have decent equity even if they have a set.

If you aren't getting good cards and/or good flops, then you really just have to be patient unless you are willing to bluff.