Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Law School Application Time

Noah, maybe I should of PM'd you this, because I don't want to take away from OP, but this might be useful information. It's related to this statement...

"One other thing they say about personal statements is include anything that may have detracted or contributed to your GPA."

Should you include this? And if you SHOULD, how to you go about doing this? For instance, I attended Ohio State for my first 2 years. Transfered out of there because I was partying to much, not getting school work done, being unhealthy, etc. I transfered back home to live with my parents because I truly did want to work, and get better grades. Obviously I can't be like, I drank way to much so I transfered, and now you can tell my GPA is better, but I also don't want them to think I'm spitting out BS...
(If it's important, my GPA at ohio state was 3.1, now I go to Cincinnati, and its around a 3.7, but I still have around 2 years left)

I want to practice in LA or NY, right now USC and UCLA are on top of my list (if this matters)
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 AM

burko,

they get your full transcript and will see the upward grade trend, but it never hurts to attach an addendum. I think including it in your PS statement is bad just because it detracts from whatever story you are trying to tell. Even if your PS is about similar topics, putting the grade info in a separate addendum is probably the best way.

A lot of apps have a specific provision that says soemthing like "if there is anything else you'd like to tell us/ comment on/ explain" then do so here. I'm not sure how your transcript looks given the transfer, but I think it'd be fine to attach something that focuses on your recent grade excellence. dont even bother with the negatives. Just something where the gist is "Since my transfer I rededicated myself to my studies and the grades from that point forward are an accurate reflection of my abilities". It will also help if you have an LSAT score to back this up.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 AM

Noah,

You almost inspire to me to wish I had tried to go that route of law school and all that. I really am not sure why, but every time I read one of your posts about your schooling, I get that feeling.

Of course sometimes I wish I was on my way through med school, too.

Instead I'm going to be a lowly English teacher. Holla.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 AM

OP see you at UT next year.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Reading some of those TLS forums and this Yale Law Journal article was posted: How not to succeed in law school

http://ww3.lawschool.cornell.edu/fac...donarticle.pdf

I found it absolutely hilarious, and somewhat enlightening.

a couple of gems from it

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of what the LSAT people say, however, you will notice that there are several suspiciously solvent LSAT prep course companies who are happy to take your money. Of course, you can always choose to "go bare" and take the LSAT without any prep course at all. People who have done this in the past are called "nonlawyers."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Studies have shown that the best way to learn is to have frequent exams on small amounts of material and to receive lots of feedback from the teacher. Consequently, law school does none of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How many Chicago Law professors does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None, the market will take care of itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Received an F-minus in my class. Giving this person an F would have been unfair to the people who failed normally.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Awesome article, though i am a little unhappy that I am now 30 minutes off of my "outline for contracts" schedule.

BTW, I am the only one at the law school right now, and I am scared that Frankenstein is going to come crashing through the doors any second now. How can I slow him down if he does come? THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION I AM FREAKING OUT OMGGG!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:29 PM

XxGodJrxX,

Offer
Acceptance

Mailbox Rule

There, your contracts outline is done.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:47 PM

We didn't really go over the mailbox rule in this class [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My outline looks more like: offer/acceptance, consideration, remedies, interpretation, breach.

I have offer/acceptance and consideration finished. It's only six or seven pages. I just looked at some outlines online, and those two sections are three times longer in all three outlines I looked at... WHO IS DOING IT WRONG?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM

meh, it's very possible that neither of you are doing it "wrong," as you really have to find what works for you and that often will not be what works for others. most of my outlines were only 20-25 pages max, and i did very well first year. (pretty much every outline i saw online was significantly longer than what i had). i know people that would have 100-page outlines, and others that would have 5-page outlines.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM

The mailbox rule should be a subset of offer/acceptance imo.
My contracts is looking like damages, consideration, unilateral/bilateral, offer/acceptance, battle of forms.

Anyway, so that's Contracts. How about Property, Torts, and Civil Procedure? Especially Civil Procedure, that class makes me want to die.

I'm pretty much gambling that the final contains a lot of stuff about Desktop Tower Defense and/or basic SNG strategy. Certainly not anything about Rule 19 or section 1367.