Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Real Andromeda Strain?

This story coming out of Peru is a little troubling.
Link

[ QUOTE ]
Villagers in southern Peru were struck by a mysterious illness after a meteorite made a fiery crash to Earth in their area, regional authorities said Monday.

Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a "strange odor," local health department official Jorge Lopez told Peruvian radio RPP.

Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being hospitalized, Lopez said.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this story is true, could it mean they are getting sick from what was on the meteor, or from the crash and resulting vapors?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Real Andromeda Strain?

I think I'm going to go with "mass hysteria" based on Sklanskyesque reasoning and this particular quote, which blows some credibility with me:
[ QUOTE ]

"Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby. Residents are very concerned," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
based on Sklanskyesque reasoning

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on Sklanskyesque reasoning the probabilitites have just gone up for Earth being under attack by Aliens, the Illuminati intitiating their final global takeover, the CIA having finally perfected their mind control drugs, and OJ Simpson being guilty of shooting down Steve Fossett's plane with satellite based kinetic engergy weapons.

PairTheBoard
Old 09-18-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on Sklanskyesque reasoning the probabilitites have just gone up for Earth being under attack by Aliens, the Illuminati intitiating their final global takeover, the CIA having finally perfected their mind control drugs, and OJ Simpson being guilty of shooting down Steve Fossett's plane with satellite based kinetic engergy weapons.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but not appreciably.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you object to any of these probabilities randomly shifting up and down from "unimaginably tiny" to "almost unimaginably tiny" based on strange day-to-day events?

Anyway, my only point was that there is precious little here to make me take the completely unprecidented "andromeda strain" scenario as a favorite over the relatively common "mass hysteria" scenario.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM

kind of a sideline, but in the PNAC public documents they come right out and say they want to use race specific bioweapons.

and dick cheney is one of the authors.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kind of a sideline, but in the PNAC public documents they come right out and say they want to use race specific bioweapons.

and dick cheney is one of the authors.

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend pointed out the other day that the PNAC document openly states 'theather wars'.

WTFFFFFFF. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friend pointed out the other day that the PNAC document openly states 'theather wars'.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you elaborate, I don't get it.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 PM

If I could return us to Peru from the PNAC tangent...

It seems vastly more likely to me that the meteorite landed on top of something that smelled bad (vegetation buried 50 feet deep and slowly rotting, freshly exposed to air again), than that the meteorite itself introduced a harmful chemical.

Among other things, the timeframe is wrong: if the meteorite directly released a poisonous gas, it dissipates with the first breeze; if it spread heavy metal over the area or something, the poisoning won't show up for years. A condition that comes to light moderately soon after the event and persists for a few days is something that got dug up.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:33 PM

I'm guessing their odd health problems had more to do with living in small villages in south Peru than an alien virus from a meteor.
It seems more likely that there was some unrelated environmental problem, contaminants in the water supply or food poisoning.