Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if it's been mentioned yet but if this show makes it to next year which I hope it does, what's gonna happen? They really haven't done a good job of introducing new characters(under classmen)into the show. I was positive that last year Riggins was a senior so there is no way they can try and pull that again. I dont think the show is as a good if you have all these old graduated players hanging around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is that they are so touch and go to get renewed that they can't afford to introduce new characters. I guess they'll just cross that bridge when they come to it. I think it might be kinda fun to start with a new cast of characters next year.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hate this show, personally I think it ruins the book/movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.

1. The movie was AWFUL.

2. The book was great.

3. The movie butchered the book in just about every way you can think of w/o someone just coming on the screen 3/4 they way through the movie and pulling their pants down and showing their ass to prove it was just one big level.

4. The tv show was just "inspired" by the book and doesn't intend to follow the book in any way. This is pretty easy to realize. This is a tv show about way more than football, it is about these fictional characters lives and how each one of them we can possibly relate to on some level. The book/movie is a journalistic encounter of the racism, segregation, difference in money between town lines and how football is what connected everyone. The tv show uses a lot of themes and sticks w/ this but takes it much further, since the character are fictional they can be more dynamic--the writer can do anything he wants with them and can tell any story he wants. It just so happens that the way he goes about it is better than any tv show on and much better than the horrible FNL movie and is a good step away from the FNL book.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 AM

I didn't think the movie was that great. Definitely prefer the show.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM

Based off of reading the posts since the last episode, I'll watch the most recent one on nbc.com (almost positive they'll let you stream eps from there).

As far as production costs, I think it would be relatively cheap to keep introducing low-paid talent while slowly phasing out the existing, more expensive cast members. The key is a smooth transition and interesting character development. The problem is that quality writing seems to be in finite supply and the downfall of many longstanding series, and in comes the long-lost cousin or small child out of desperation and it's all over.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hate this show, personally I think it ruins the book/movie

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at this show ruining the crappy movie. Haven't read the book so I can't comment on that.

This was a really great episode, my faviurite of this season. The MExico scenes were absolutely phenomonal, great acting, writing and direction all round. I still have my doubts about the Tyra/Landy/murder arc, but I have a lot of faith in the wirters of this show, so I fully expect them to tackle this storyline in a classy, dramatic and most of all believeable way.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if it's been mentioned yet but if this show makes it to next year which I hope it does, what's gonna happen? They really haven't done a good job of introducing new characters(under classmen)into the show. I was positive that last year Riggins was a senior so there is no way they can try and pull that again. I dont think the show is as a good if you have all these old graduated players hanging around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is that they are so touch and go to get renewed that they can't afford to introduce new characters. I guess they'll just cross that bridge when they come to it. I think it might be kinda fun to start with a new cast of characters next year.

[/ QUOTE ]\

I've watched the whole series, but I'm not sure if we have proof positive as to who is in which class.

Jason - graduated '07
Tim - has to be a senior, right? No way he and Jason are this tight and two years apart.
Lyla - graduated '07? Not sure.
Smash - senior
Matt - junior
Landry - gotta be a junior
Tyra - probably a junior
Julie - probably a junior

Smash's role has faded a little this year, so they can drop him when next season rolls around. I can't believe he doesn't have a little brother ready to step in at RB though--probably will be a half-brother that moves in with him later this year.

Jason can stay involved as the QB coach, or maybe the new offensive coordinator when Mac retires. Matt, Julie, Landry, and Tyra will be back as seniors. They can bridge the gap.

Tim and Lyla have to stay somehow, IMHO. There is probably a junior college in the next town over, which is where he is headed due to slacker tendencies and eligibility issues. I could see Lyla skipping college to do mission trips or some type of volunteer work, which can keep her in Dillon at least part-time.

As for new characters, Lyla has two younger siblings, including a younger brother who is definitely a football player--not sure how old he is. If he could be an 8th grader now, he could be in the mix next year. Buddy will be even more meddlesome when his kid is on the team. Also, the new kid Lyla is trying to save will probably be a DB or something within a couple weeks, and they could stretch it and call him a junior.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Man, I could have sworn Tyra was a senior. Maybe not, though.

The family (Coach, Mrs. Coach, Julie) has their place set in the show pretty well. Matt and Landry have their senior year still and I think Tyra is a senior b/c those ep's where Mrs. Coach was helping her so she could get into a community college or whatever would seem out of place if she were doing that while she was a sophmore. So maybe, she gets into a comm college somewhere.

I thought Tim was a senior last year. I am glad he is back and wouldn't be mad if they figured out a way to have him around somehow forever.

Smash will prolly be gone, I wish there was more of him this year--him and Matt had some good scenes last year.

Lyla will be back next year b/c I am the new character on the show that knocked her up and now she has to stick around Dillon thinking about how she disgraced God. Lucky me tho.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Right now, this is my favorite show on TV

Matt and Landry were perfect in this episode, Riggins on the booze cruise was awesome, and as usual Chandler/Britton are the best couple on TV

Nothing really new to add other than I love this show

Carry on
Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 PM

Ok, who writes this? Is that really the best 'solution' they could come up with?

*** don't want to be more specific *** but you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM

lmao soccer coach must be on or something.