Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Marginal spot vs. a wtf line

A 22/20 is probably an ok player. I just don't see an ok player ever checking the turn behind with a good hand unless it's quad 7's and he's in "OMG WTF!!!" -mode. The only hand that villain would usually play like this that beats you on the river is 22. Now let's look at what villain sees:

You call a button range so he puts you on a semi-wide range. The flop comes paired and you call his bet. Obviously it's hard to hit a paired board so he probably puts you on a wide range of pairs/2 overcards/float/trips/boat. Your turn check looks either very strong (looking for a c/r) or a marginal hand wanting a cheap showdown but villain checks behind so he won't know. Your SMALL river bet looks like a bluff/weak hand and therefore villain can't put you on a decent hand which means a big part of his range is bluffs.

As played, I insta-call the river because of villain's turn check. (I'd fold/3-bet this pf btw because I don't like playing anything less than AQ OOP unless I have the initiative).
Old 11-07-2007, 06:01 PM

i fold pf. sometimes 3bet his isolation raise. never call. being out of position with this hand is sucky. you got pretty much one of the better boards and it still sucks for you (river raise); now imagine if you get one of the gazillion bad boards.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:03 PM

also, i cannot remember every being bluff raised on the river at 50nl on stars. like never. not once.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 PM

You're OOP against a guy that seems like he isn't bad. I'd rather 3-bet or fold this preflop, probably folding 80% of the time. He is probably raising the limper light but like, who cares? Take him down in position.

Flop is fine, turn is fine, I'd rather c/c river. His range for calling the river with a hand that we beat is like 99 and JT-KT. He'll bet all of those hands if we check to him as well as his hand with no showdown value as well.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
folding pf is not horrible

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't stress how much I hate pre flop. OOP with a potentially dominated hand against a player with taggish stats = teh suck. If you feel like you have to play A10 here then squeeze but just calling is yuck.