Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 1

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought that the women would be way behind here, but the world record male shot put is only 1 meter ahead of the women's record.

[/ QUOTE ]

a men's shot is 16 lbs. a women's shot is 8.8 pounds. men still beat the women. it's pretty clear that women aren't remotely close to being competitive.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM

Oops. Hah I definitely was thinking about mentioning that as I read the wiki page and then it completely slipped my mind when I made my post.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 AM

If I didn't know anything about the specific players, or records in the sport, just off a knowledge of the rules, I'd probably guess that women would rank(in descending order):

1. Golf.

2. Softball.

3. Tennis

4. Marathon

5. 100 Meter Dash

6. Shotput
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM

The german women chess champion of 2003 was a man who had a sex change. I wonder if Annie was Howard's little brother once...

Bah, that was nasty. ANNIE I LOVE YOU!!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:21 PM

the only sport on the list that women would have a hope at getting anywhere near the men is golf. It requires the least athletic skill.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tennis - 10000

Golf - On any given day a female golfer can beat a male golfer. Even annika has about a non-zero chance at beating Tiger for one round on certain courses. Golf requires much less athelticism than tennis so Im going to guess around 400.

100 Meters - I believe Marion Jones ran a 10.49 when juiced up and this was the fastest of all time. Most hs sprinters can do this. About 50000 or more.

Marathon - Ill go with an answer posted above

Softball - >> one million,

16 lb Shot Put also >> one million

[/ QUOTE ]

These are way off. Tennis is probably around 500. Golf is most likely around 100. Annika and Wie have been somewhat competitive on the PGA Tour. I think either could go through Q school and get a PGA Tour card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennis 500? Please tell me you are kidding. This is really an insult to men's tennis. Many of you are vastly underestimating the athletic superiority of men.

I may have overestimated softball, but perhaps not.

For batters in softball, this number is easily over 50000.

I think shotput is extremely highly correlated to physical strength . Im sure there are a handful of 2+2ers that could out throw the women here.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found that the winner of the women's marathon in the last Olympics finished in 2h 26min. If she ran the same time in the men's marthon this would be good for 62nd place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. This is a truly disgusting attempt.

There are absolutely hundreds of men that can run faster than the fastest woman. According to the link provided earlier the best woman's time this year was 2:19:36. Roughly 1,000 men ran faster than this.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think shotput is extremely highly correlated to physical strength . Im sure there are a handful of 2+2ers that could out throw the women here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you should go and try yourself. Me and my friends have been doing track and field during summers and with a bit of training (I'm a certified track&field trainer for juniors under 15 years) best of us has been able to do 12,5 metres shotput, and the guy is 190/90 and very athletic overall, and that's about 8 metres behind the best women in the world at the moment.

This aside, the best 15 year old guys do 19+ metres with the 4kg (which I think is equivalent to 8,8lbs) so ofcourse the amount of men who would be better than women would be huge, same as in 100m (even though Florence Griffith-Joyners world record time would have been 4th in the Finlands last year records, but we're not a country known for our sprinters).
Old 12-28-2006, 03:54 PM

this is one of the worst questions i've seen in this forum
Old 12-28-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found that the winner of the women's marathon in the last Olympics finished in 2h 26min. If she ran the same time in the men's marthon this would be good for 62nd place.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't attribute quotes to me that are not mine. I replied to this post, and went on to explain some of the reasons that the 62nd place in the marathon doesn't mean much.