Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: KK vs calling station who got agressive

If we had raised pre-flop to $1.50 there would be $3.25 in when he checked the flop. Then we could have bet $3 and the villain's minraise would be $6. Now we're looking at calling $3 in a $12 pot instead of $5 in a $20 pot. Is it just by newbiness or might some pot control against this weak player helped us to make this particular decision?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we had raised pre-flop to $1.50 there would be $3.25 in when he checked the flop. Then we could have bet $3 and the villain's minraise would be $6. Now we're looking at calling $3 in a $12 pot instead of $5 in a $20 pot. Is it just by newbiness or might some pot control against this weak player helped us to make this particular decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because he's gonna call with a lot less and we want to build pots vs fish as opposed to pot controlling.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 PM

There's actually a lot you can factor in to help... if you've been overly active even passive players will sometimes play back at you with hands weaker then your overpair. I know when I'm in this position I take into account recent activity in making my decision as to whether or not I think he's playing back light.

In general, I agree that these players often call down with simple one pair hands and draws. Though some will surprise you by unexpectedly playing their draws aggressively.

Note - these players are also the type to smoothcall a hand like QQ or AA and then raise you on the flop....

At any rate, its likely going to cost you two more streets of betting to find out if you're good. If you feel confident that a draw is most likely out of the question, then sets and two pairs are your most likely candidates and you can fold.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because he's gonna call with a lot less and we want to build pots vs fish as opposed to pot controlling.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the theory that when playing against an opponent who plays poorly we want the money to go in as slow as possible, while playing against a better player we want to get it in fast to avoid being outplayed?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the theory that when playing against an opponent who plays poorly we want the money to go in as slow as possible, while playing against a better player we want to get it in fast to avoid being outplayed?

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be amended to say that "when playing against an opponent who plays poorly we want the money to go in as fast as he'll let us". We don't wanna slowplay, we wanna build pots. So we bet as much as he'll call and nothing more - we still wanna play our hands fast.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 PM

i'm not buying a 1.4 ag with a vp of 50+ as a calling station. this guy bets and raises a lot postflop for limp/calling into every other pot with [censored].
Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 PM

like kurto and lego are getting at, your hand still has a lot of showdown value

also, to paint a better picture of these awkward spots, villain would need a sufficient read on you in order to make a stand like this...if you RR or call villain is equally as lost as you are

based on replying to a hand where you opened A6s from UTG, I think villain should be making these bets with a huge range of hands vs your opening range
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ty for ignoring most of what i wrote.. he never does this with a flush draw or Jx

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not Jx? He does look like a poster boy for players that over value top pair hands. I canīt imagine folding here, I 3bet to $23 and call a push.