Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Table Selection

Okay guys, i am a tourney player, now moving to the $ game.

What sort of table stats, and player stats should i be looking for?

I have pahud

Sorry if this is a noob question, but, even though i have played a whole heap of poker, table selection has never entered my mind (excepting my limit days!)
Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Table Selection

what site you playing on?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 PM

Playing on party 10c/25, 6 max
Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 PM

look for bad players.

make sure you have position on them.

last point is very important, and often overlooked by alot of players.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:19 AM

I look for tables with VPIP over 40 but basically if I havent got a good choice I will join several tables and jump off the tighter ones or ones where I dont like my position after a few orbits and replace them with new tables.

I agree with SpecT about position. But there is still an argument about what is a good position or not. If I sit at a table with 2 TAGS and an few LAGs I will try to sit with the LAGS to my right. I do this cos the LAGS see more flops so I will have position in more hands and they are also harder to steal against in general. The problem with this is that you will often be OOP against the TAGS who are generally the better players. Its a matter of preference I think but I like to think that Im tangling with the worse players significantly more often so position on them is more important.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I look for tables with VPIP over 40 but basically if I havent got a good choice I will join several tables and jump off the tighter ones or ones where I dont like my position after a few orbits and replace them with new tables.

I agree with SpecT about position. But there is still an argument about what is a good position or not. If I sit at a table with 2 TAGS and an few LAGs I will try to sit with the LAGS to my right. I do this cos the LAGS see more flops so I will have position in more hands and they are also harder to steal against in general. The problem with this is that you will often be OOP against the TAGS who are generally the better players. Its a matter of preference I think but I like to think that Im tangling with the worse players significantly more often so position on them is more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really really really really want bad players on my right. If that means good players are on my left, that's fine. If there are no bad players, bolt immediately. I always LOL at tables with six 2+2ers sitting there trying to take each other's money.

Edit: More accurately, bolt as soon as your blind comes around.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:31 AM

one fish on your right or one fish 2 to your right
Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find the post right now, but there was a good post, i think in the well arguing that you want the weak players to your left and the strong players to your right for a couple reasons.

1. The money generally moves from the blinds to the button (counter=clockwise around the table). You want the weak players to have to defend their blinds against you. Having them to your left gives you positon on the fish on their blinds AND position against all the other players who might try and attack the fish.

2. Getting 3 bet pf by tough players is who will have position on you tends to crush your winrate.

somone whos good with search can probably find it.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find the post right now, but there was a good post, i think in the well arguing that you want the weak players to your left and the strong players to your right for a couple reasons.

1. The money generally moves from the blinds to the button (counter=clockwise around the table). You want the weak players to have to defend their blinds against you. Having them to your left gives you positon on the fish on their blinds AND position against all the other players who might try and attack the fish.

2. Getting 3 bet pf by tough players is who will have position on you tends to crush your winrate.

somone whos good with search can probably find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you tried having fish on your left? it sucks

bluffy spewtard LAGS on your left is good... fish in general on your left sucks
Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. The money generally moves from the blinds to the button (counter=clockwise around the table).

[/ QUOTE ]

imo this is completely wrong... money moves clockwise

you can observe it pretty easily