Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM

Default NLTRN 2007 plan

I started out 2007 with a plan.

My plan is to play 95 percent HU NL tournaments. I'm planning on playing 500 tournaments, about 10 a day, at a level and then move up to the next level. Since the beginning of the year I have played 250 HU tournaments with an ROI of 18 percent.

I'm currently at the 11 dollar turbo's on Stars and my main question would be should I move up with a roll of 500 or should I stick with my plan of playing 500 and make the sharkscope leader board and re-evaluate at 500?

The only other games that I'm playing at this point is that I take a shot at the 22 HU matches when I have time. This come out to about twice a week.

I guess I should also say that the only reason that I came up with this plan was to lower variance which has been working so far. At this point over the 250 SNG's my biggest downturn has been about 40 dollars.

I'm planing on spending some time in this forum from time to time and posting some hands and strategy in the near future.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: NLTRN 2007 plan

[ QUOTE ]

My plan is to play 95 percent HU NL tournaments. I'm planning on playing 500 tournaments, about 10 a day, at a level and then move up to the next level. Since the beginning of the year I have played 250 HU tournaments with an ROI of 18 percent.

I'm currently at the 11 dollar turbo's on Stars and my main question would be should I move up with a roll of 500 or should I stick with my plan of playing 500 and make the sharkscope leader board and re-evaluate at 500?

The only other games that I'm playing at this point is that I take a shot at the 22 HU matches when I have time. This come out to about twice a week.

I guess I should also say that the only reason that I came up with this plan was to lower variance which has been working so far. At this point over the 250 SNG's my biggest downturn has been about 40 dollars.

I'm planing on spending some time in this forum from time to time and posting some hands and strategy in the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Continue taking shots until you feel comfortable at the next level. It does not take 500 matches to beat a level. Playing in smaller games that you easily beat sometimes takes a toll on concentration, which deteriorates your game as a whole and pins you at lower levels. Always have plan for your bankroll with regards to when you will move up and down, but never be afraid to modify that plan - and always take shots.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It does not take 500 matches to beat a level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this but I did set a goal of 500 and at this point I see no reason to not stick to it. My biggest concern at this point is bankroll preservation due to the new banking regulations. I current have about 60 buyin's at the level(I had a good session or two since yesterday) I'm playing but I will feel more comfort with 100.

I will also point out that most of the better players play mostly one level and game. The players that are all over the map are mostly bad or marginal players because they do not get into a grove of playing one type of game.

[ QUOTE ]
Playing in smaller games that you easily beat sometimes takes a toll on concentration, which deteriorates your game as a whole and pins you at lower levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not I run into my fair share of really good players grinding it out at this level.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I current have about 60 buyin's at the level(I had a good session or two since yesterday) I'm playing but I will feel more comfort with 100.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is way excessive, Id advice you play the 22s with 30 buyins and move down if you get to 20 buy ins your risk of ruin doing this is extremely small. I think you have a nitty psychological bankroll (I do too) so just start mixing a few more 22s in each session when your feeling 100% on your game until your completely comfortable at the new level.

[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not I run into my fair share of really good players grinding it out at this level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I somehow doubt this I rarely run into a 'good' player playings 33s and 55s but I dont play stars so I guess its possible.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can not believe that I have stuck with my plan for this year so far and it is not going too bad. Played 500 HUSNG's at 11 bucks and barely made the sharkscope leaderboard at 94 cents a tournament.

I just moved up to the next batch of 500 at the 22's.

My biggest downturn so far has been about 100 bucks.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 AM

why do you want to make the sharkscope leaderboard? curious.

btw, the 20s are roughly the same as the 10s: horrible opponents who will get all in with top pair no kicker. only thing is variance. if you're not the tilty type ("omg i just lost $150 to suckouts and coolers, i have to move up and get it back") then i think you should play the 20s and move down if things go bad because you know you'll make it back at the 10s.

also the 20s don't fill up nearly as fast as the 10s, so you can play both, assuming you multitable. the low stakes are rediculously easy to play 4 at a time. so u can get 10 in an hour - having PT and PA HUD is somewhat necessary though. the opponents at those stakes are all pretty much the same, so you don't have to worry about being against game theory tricky types that demand full concentration.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 AM

Congrats on getting to your goal, I have some advice that you can take or leave. First of all you should be able to get way higher than 8.5% ROI at the 11s and a 9 buy in swing at the 11s is a bit high (possible but unlikely with a higher winrate) so I would suggest playing less matches and studying more long run this is going to make you way more $ per hour and is especially important if you want to continue moving up. Until I was really comfortable with my game I spent about the same amount of time studying as playing.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on getting to your goal, I have some advice that you can take or leave. First of all you should be able to get way higher than 8.5% ROI at the 11s and a 9 buy in swing at the 11s is a bit high (possible but unlikely with a higher winrate) so I would suggest playing less matches and studying more long run this is going to make you way more $ per hour and is especially important if you want to continue moving up. Until I was really comfortable with my game I spent about the same amount of time studying as playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently I try to average about 10 matches a day. I was running about 14 percent until about my last 100 tournaments as I believe I was really just starting to get bored with the buy-in. I have moved up to the 22's and started off on a heater after about 30 matches winning my last 10 staight.

I do have a question or two for you. What is your current ROI and what level are you currently playing?

I do also still study the game by mostly reading on here and I also do have a nice collection of twoplustwo books plus some others like supersystem and supersystem II.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently I try to average about 10 matches a day. I was running about 14 percent until about my last 100 tournaments as I believe I was really just starting to get bored with the buy-in. I have moved up to the 22's and started off on a heater after about 30 matches winning my last 10 staight.

I do have a question or two for you. What is your current ROI and what level are you currently playing?

I do also still study the game by mostly reading on here and I also do have a nice collection of twoplustwo books plus some others like supersystem and supersystem II.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had 15% ROI at the 33 turbos but Ive started playing pretty much 55s and 110s but not much of a sample size yet. Are you saying you got bored and tilted off some buy ins?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I had 15% ROI at the 33 turbos but Ive started playing pretty much 55s and 110s but not much of a sample size yet. Are you saying you got bored and tilted off some buy ins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt did creep in for about 50 matches. If I feel that I'm tilting I pretty much try to call it a day.