Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Why people start playing poker and why nits play poker?

So - I played 400NL 6max 4 tables and all my opponents were huge nits. Not talking about TAG players, talking about nits. And I started wondering why do these nits even play poker. I mean, nits are risk averse individuals, and this doesn't seem like a good profile for a poker player. How do nits even get involved into the world of poker? I obviusly play poker for money, but I started because I loved the thrill of poker. I love when there is a lot of money in the middle, it is such a wonderful feeling when I shove all my stack into the middle and the guy calls and we gamble for a big pot.

Some of guys here on 2+2 say: "I don't play for the thrill." Well, you might not now, but this is probably why most people start playing poker. My guess. Well, 2+2ers are usually not the kind of nits I am talking about.

So maybe this question is also a question of why people start playing poker. I started because of the thrill of it and possibly most people do because of that. During the progress, some of them lose that feeling, but this is another story. But why do nits start playing poker? I don't see how can they even be interested in such a risky bussinnes.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Why people start playing poker and why nits play poker?

I can’t speak for everybody but I am a very competitive person. I love all games where skill plays a part and I love winning. From a very young age I played various sports and winning was the most important factor. Even if I play monopoly with kids I cannot let them win (sad I know, but that’s me). We always had family card games that were competitive even with no money riding on it.

I like “gambling” if there is a skill aspect but I don’t get a huge buzz from winning a big pot if I have been outplayed and get lucky. I need to have played the hand correctly and got the better of someone to really be happy. Playing bad and winning just does not do it for me.

I hate luck games such as roulette and craps. I consider myself a TAG at heart but will change gears as and when necessary. At the moment I play poker as a secondary income but am considering a switch full time. I hope this does not turn me into a nit but I could see that if somebody’s full time profession relied on results that is possible. Perhaps that’s how some of these nits come about.

Also the fact people play 20 tables at a time can mean they play very tight in each game but still see lots of action. Just my ramblings on this.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 AM

Nice post, Rek. I have a similar view as you. It is just that these nits seem to hate to risk money and I don't know why they even play poker.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 AM

Do you think these nits are winning players? If so, I'd say they got involved in poker because they heard you could make money, and that's exactly what they've done. That would seem obvious.

I'm assuming these nits are not very good, and just way too tight and risk-averse to make poker profitable at anything other than microlimits. If that's the case, then my guess is they love the ANTICIPATION of a big hand. They don't even care that nobody ever gives them action (since a raise from them = the nuts). They just can't wait for the next time they flop trips or turn the nut flush with AKs. They are obviously very patient people, and don't mind waiting a while between these big hands.

Also, they probably feel like they are winning players, because they usually show down the best hand. The times where they lose at showdown, it's usually because they got "sucked out on" by some "donk" (named Vinetou [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) chasing a flopped straight flush draw against their TPTK. So even then they still see themselves as a better player, but just unlucky that hand.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:41 PM

wtf nits own the games...
I always thought NIT = TAG? am i wrong?
Nits obv see u raising junk, wait till they have trips, then wait for you to raise ur junk again and devleop a big pot so it gets shipped to them, unless u lukbox out ofc..

With rakeback/multitabling/ INTERNET DONKS!/Lags/lagtards, being a nit is actually pretty profitable till u hit NL 400 (can possibly work at nl600 although its harder).. Oh and the low variance side of it/ more likly for their bluffs to wrk etc etc.. a lot of upside to beng a nit...

I just wish i had the patence to be one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM

obviously they play b/c they think they have an edge on the game and want to make money
Old 11-18-2007, 10:40 PM

Going by your definition of a nit being a risk adverse individual - The risk can be measured in poker, and a 'nit' must feel other players don't measure it as well. Nits also love the thrill you describe, they just might pick a safer situation to build a big pot.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Because it's an easy system to play and is profitable in those games?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because it's an easy system to play and is profitable in those games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really profitable in 400NL? It might actually be, because I often can't fold TPTK even against them.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 AM

lol the funny thing about nits is this, somehow their gamble comes up and they suddenly stack off with top pair no kicker on scary board.
Most of the time nits are pretty bad, and if they actually loosened up a little bit they could make more money.