Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Is this standard? (being banned from a private cardroom)

Not sure if this is kosher topic or not, but I was really curious if this is standard occurrence or not.

I don’t play much live poker; recently I went to this private cardroom in Brooklyn. They have these weekly freerolls and offer cash games. I played a few times there in cash games; lost once in a cash game, won twice. I played tight the whole time as I was carddead. My friend plays poker there and he wins just about every time he plays. One time both of us won a couple of buyins, and next time we showed up we were told not to come there anymore as it was a private game.

Is it standard for private cardrooms to kick out tight winning players? I was really surprised as I had no idea that you can just not be allowed to play for playing tight and winning:/
Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Is this standard? (being banned from a private cardroom)

I have heard of this before. Did anything else go on while you were there? Did you neglect to tip? Did you run laps around the table after winning? Anything else?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM

They can bar you for wearing the wrong brand of sneakers.
Or for the appearance of collusion.
Or for blabbing about the cardroom to the wrong people.
Or for 1000000 and 1 other reasons.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard of this before. Did anything else go on while you were there? Did you neglect to tip? Did you run laps around the table after winning? Anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I tipped fine I think, 1$ for small pot, 5$ for big one. I was just pretty nitty since I was card dead, but I did show a couple of bluffs in small pots. I didn’t see many good players there at all, maybe they all just get banned? It seemed like a lot of people were just there to gambool it up and give action to each other. The owners of that place would play in the cash game also and buy in for a 100$ at a time and donk it off. It just seems like they don’t like winning players there. Although you don’t have to be very good at all to win at that game:/

[ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah. When it's an underground cardroom, gaming laws obviously don't apply except in the sense that the whole enterprise is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering if it was a standard practice amongst underground cardrooms.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:12 PM

Well, yeah. When it's an underground cardroom, gaming laws obviously don't apply except in the sense that the whole enterprise is illegal.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM

It is pretty common. The people that like to gamble at poker and make the games good don't like to give action to nits. Something that a lot of people forget or don't realize about the real live ones is that they know how to play better, but it isn't fun so they don't.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering if it was a standard practice amongst underground cardrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not standard. Although I can certainly see it happening -- particularly in smaller rooms -- I think there must be something else going on as well. You mention the fact they have freerolls -- were you showing up for a lot of freerolls but rarely for cash games? I know some smaller clubs frown on that.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there must be something else going on as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I cant think of one good reason why they would do it. Weird thing is that I only went there about 5-6 times. Played cash games about 3-4 times and was up only a couple of buy ins. A lot of people just show up and only play freerolls and leave, and there were bigger nits than me when I played cash games.

My friend played there more frequently and was winning about every time he played. He isn’t a very good player, he does stupid [censored] like limp a7o and call a raise and pay off AJ on Axx board but he steadily wins in that game because he played tight and guys just spew money there. When one of the owners (another owner already knew that) found out that we were friends he didn’t seem too thrilled and next time told me and him not to come:/
Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When one of the owners (another owner already knew that) found out that we were friends he didn’t seem too thrilled and next time told me and him not to come:/

[/ QUOTE ]
So he tosses you because you're tight, but he tosses your donkey friend too? Any chance he thinks you're colluding?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Sounds to me like something is up with your "Friend" and you have been bounced because you are associated.