Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Times that your parents have embarrassed you

As a kid with a first generation immigrant parent, embarrassing moments were a part of my everyday life (before I learned to not be a shallow douche with regards to my Dad's heritage, at least).

The following moment was brought back into my memory by the joke flopping thread.

When I was about 16, one of my first girlfriends was over, basically meeting my parents. Things went well, as my parents are really nice and sociable. My Dad makes tons of terrible jokes all the time, but they weren't too bad until the following: as me and the gf left to go watch a movie upstairs, my Dad said "be careful, I'm not covering the cost of an abortion." I almost cried on the spot. The gf laughed it off, but I'm sure it did not weigh favorably.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Times that your parents have embarrassed you

Your dad is brilliant IMO
Old 10-27-2007, 07:51 PM

I love your dad. where did he come from?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Awesome. Where are you from?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Dad's from Iran originally, my Mom is American born with no Iranian roots.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM

That is awesome. I will remember this for when I have kids.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 PM

If it makes you feel any better, your dad probably didn't get laid that night either.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Back around the time Al Gore invented the internet, my family got AOL. I was probably around 8 years old or so. I logged on and decided to check out the Nickelodeon chat room. There were a bunch of kids in there. I talked to a few of them, then wrote, "HEY EVERYBODY!! WHO WANTS TO SEE A BIG DICK?!?" Funny thing was, one chick was like "I DO!"

Long story short, my family's account was insta-banned. My dad tried to log on and couldn't, then spoke with AOL support and they explained the story. A very awkward conversation ensued between me and my parents.

Cut to the present. Somehow, someway, this story always seems to come up during large gatherings. We'll all be sitting around the dinner table, and my parents would explain to family and friends how our AOL was banned. Everyone bursts out laughing, and I end up looking like a huge ass hole. Oh well.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back around the time Al Gore invented the internet, my family got AOL. I was probably around 8 years old or so. I logged on and decided to check out the Nickelodeon chat room. There were a bunch of kids in there. I talked to a few of them, then wrote, "HEY EVERYBODY!! WHO WANTS TO SEE A BIG DICK?!?" Funny thing was, one chick was like "I DO!"

Long story short, my family's account was insta-banned. My dad tried to log on and couldn't, then spoke with AOL support and they explained the story. A very awkward conversation ensued between me and my parents.

Cut to the present. Somehow, someway, this story always seems to come up during large gatherings. We'll all be sitting around the dinner table, and my parents would explain to family and friends how our AOL was banned. Everyone bursts out laughing, and I end up looking like a huge ass hole. Oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is more along the lines of "times you embarrassed yourself."
Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 PM

1. My dad is an actor and referred to all sports practices as rehersals.

2. I have a feminine sounding middle name and he always included it when calling me in from outside.

3. Whenever we go to visit or he comes, when he sees my gf or any female friend he greets her with "hey girlfrienddd."

4. my dad gets drunk off of one beer and starts talking in an irish brogue, telling fictional stories.

5. he likes to dance and wear clogs.

6. he used to work at Plimoth Plantation and decided that he needed to visit my classroom every year dressed as a pilgrim during thanksgiving.

7. when i was past that, at a jesuit high school, he did a one man passion play despite being agnostic/atheist.

8. my dad was/is a huge hippie and tells people about how he went through a period of years where he changed his name to "Joe Eagle", which of course my friends now refer to him as.

theres probably a million worse, some i dont even want to list, and still others that i have buried deep within.