Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: EEC: Poker-tax in UK compared to Denmark

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you move to the UK (say from the USA), do you have to get rid of your US citizenship and become a UK citizen before you don't have to pay tax?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do this so it doesn't matter. Was fun idea while it lasted though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't move to the UK, which makes the whole rest of that scenario pretty much worthless to talk about. Even if you could, you couldn't easily citizenship and if you could it'd be a 5-10 year wait (not sure about UK's exact time). After you did that you get to do more stupid [censored] to get rid of your USA citizenship and may have to wait another 10 years to stop paying taxes. But like I said, you can't even move there unless you have EU citizenship so no point in bothering with this conversation.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM

from memory the us will [censored] you over when it comes to taxes. this is pretty vague by a friends girlfriend who is american has been at university over here in the uk. i cant remember it exactly but she is half american and half danish.

something like if she wants to work in the uk, she has to pay uk income tax, but also us tax as well. something like that anyway. either way it makes it pointless for her to work in the uk without giving up her citizenship.

i mention the half danish bit becuase maybe it's danish tax she would have to pay if she works in the uk.

either way, when moving country its not that easy to drop your old countries tax and have the other country's tax. i think maybe it's done to income, so you will always pay the country you work in income tax %, but if you still have citizenship in another country then you may have to pay some sort of tax with them as well.

ill stop there becuase im dont really have much of an idea, either way ring up your govt tax office to find out.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you move to the UK (say from the USA), do you have to get rid of your US citizenship and become a UK citizen before you don't have to pay tax?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do this so it doesn't matter. Was fun idea while it lasted though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't move to the UK, which makes the whole rest of that scenario pretty much worthless to talk about. Even if you could, you couldn't easily citizenship and if you could it'd be a 5-10 year wait (not sure about UK's exact time). After you did that you get to do more stupid [censored] to get rid of your USA citizenship and may have to wait another 10 years to stop paying taxes. But like I said, you can't even move there unless you have EU citizenship so no point in bothering with this conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please pardon my ignorance (I've never even gotten a travel visa) but you're saying I can't even move to the UK? Basically I can only visit? I can see that it's certainly not worth it with all of the legal hassle.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:00 PM

you need to ring up your govt department, only they can really tell you. i tried googling but couldnt find much. but this should help: (from http://www.workpermit.com/uk/naturalisation.htm)

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have a claim to Citizenship based on ancestry you will probably have to apply for naturalisation in one of the following two categories:

Naturalisation after six years in the UK
If you are not married to a British Citizen you will need to meet the following requirements to apply for naturalisation:

You must be aged 18 or over and are not of unsound mind.
You must be of good character.
You should be able to communicate in the English language (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic). There are exemptions to this requirement, for example if you are elderly or mentally handicapped.
You should intend to live in the UK or in Crown Service abroad (working directly for an UK Government organisation), or be employed by an international organisation of which the UK is a member, or be employed by a company or association established in the United Kingdom.
If you are not married to an UK Citizen you will need to meet the following residence requirements over the last six years.

You must have been living in the UK exactly six years before the date the application reaches the Home Office; and
During the six-year period you must not have been outside the United Kingdom for more than 450 days (about 15 months); and
During the last 12 months of the six-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days; and
During the last 12 months of the six-year period your stay in the United Kingdom you must have held permanent residence/ indefinite leave to remain (ILR); and
You must not have been living in the United Kingdom in breach of the UK immigration rules at any time during the six-year period ending with the date that the application is received by the Home Office.
The processing times for naturalization applications is currently about six to seven months. If you would like assistance with a naturalisation application made on the basis of having permanent residency, please contact our office on (0)207 842 0800 or complete our online enquiry form for naturalization.

[/ QUOTE ]

now i have no idea what that means in relation to living here and paying tax, but all i could find.

ring your govt dept, they tell you everything you need to know.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM

darinvg,

No. In fact, you can't really move to any first-world country. Welcome to life.

john kane,

That is about becoming a citizen after 6 years of living in Britain with a resident permit. Not what is being discussed here.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from memory the us will [censored] you over when it comes to taxes. this is pretty vague by a friends girlfriend who is american has been at university over here in the uk. i cant remember it exactly but she is half american and half danish.

something like if she wants to work in the uk, she has to pay uk income tax, but also us tax as well. something like that anyway. either way it makes it pointless for her to work in the uk without giving up her citizenship.

i mention the half danish bit becuase maybe it's danish tax she would have to pay if she works in the uk.

either way, when moving country its not that easy to drop your old countries tax and have the other country's tax. i think maybe it's done to income, so you will always pay the country you work in income tax %, but if you still have citizenship in another country then you may have to pay some sort of tax with them as well.

ill stop there becuase im dont really have much of an idea, either way ring up your govt tax office to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Danish tax would not be a problem because it's in the EU inner market and you can't be double taxed, except maybe some issues with capital gains tax.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
darinvg,

No. In fact, you can't really move to any first-world country. Welcome to life.

john kane,

That is about becoming a citizen after 6 years of living in Britain with a resident permit. Not what is being discussed here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can become a long-term tourist. The UK is easy to move to, especially if you're from a reasonably respectable country.

OP is from Denmark, and so can enter, live, stay, work, buy a house etc. anywhere in Europe (EU)

All gambling winnings (which also includes some financial derivatives) are tax-free in the UK.

If OP is just going to play poker, then why limit yourself to the UK. Go and live somewhere warmer, dryer, with nicer food and friendlier people, and no poker tax.

There must be 100s of places to choose from and bumming around there long-term is not often such a hassle.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

with nicer food .

[/ QUOTE ]

QFFT

unless you like black pudding and other "specialties" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 PM

kimchi,

I was speaking for an American. Also, Americans cannot become long-term tourists in the UK.