Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Default NL 1/2 Making a living?

Hi,
I currently study in Canada and planning to take 6 months off and go to Vegas or AC. Is is reasonable to think that I could live decently by playing a mix of 1/2 during Thursday/Friday/Saturday while playing online the rest of the week?

I'm a winning NL100 players bonus whoring and making about 5-6 PTBB/100.

Any advice welcomed.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: NL 1/2 Making a living?

i don't know but i think if you made a blog out of this you could make some money off of that for sure. many blogs are lame but i smell a winner right here. no joke. pls blog every day of this trip starting now. post link here and gl.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 PM

It would be alot easier on you to get some sort of job (waiter,bartender) for some guaranteed money and then play poker the rest of the time.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah, the issue here is going to be win rate and financial security. Presumably you can learn to beat the game for some about fairly quickly since 1) 1/2 NL is soft and 2) You've already put in time online.

However, be aware the 5BB/100 @ live 1/2NL translates to about $2.50 per hour, which is absurdly insuficient. You're going to need more like 45BB/100 to support yourself. That's a pretty quantum leap in how well you'll need to be able to play the game. Being a whitechip "pro" sucks, man. If you want to make your living playing NL, I think you need a realistic plan to be playing 5/10 as quickly as possible.

Seccond, do you have a sufficient roll to cover this? Can you have several losing sessions AND pay you monthly nut in Vegas, and still be sufficiently rolled to continue playing?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the issue here is going to be win rate and financial security. Presumably you can learn to beat the game for some about fairly quickly since 1) 1/2 NL is soft and 2) You've already put in time online.

However, be aware the 5BB/100 @ live 1/2NL translates to about $2.50 per hour, which is absurdly insuficient. You're going to need more like 45BB/100 to support yourself. That's a pretty quantum leap in how well you'll need to be able to play the game. Being a whitechip "pro" sucks, man. If you want to make your living playing NL, I think you need a realistic plan to be playing 5/10 as quickly as possible.

Seccond, do you have a sufficient roll to cover this? Can you have several losing sessions AND pay you monthly nut in Vegas, and still be sufficiently rolled to continue playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your winrate will be a lot higher live... you should be able to make $10/hr MINIMUM in a 1/2 game. That being said you could probably make more working a normal job or at least make the same amount with no fluctuations... I don't think very many people grind out 1/2nl for al living and i would probably rather kill myself. Live I really don't think its worth playing for a living lower than 5/10nl.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:40 PM

All the people that I've met that played NL 1/2 for living had little to no financial obligations: very low or no rent, fully paid for car, etc. So it is possible, just as long as you don't expect a particularly comfortable life and have a large enough bankroll to get through the downswings.

With that said, I agree with the getting a real job during the day idea. You'd probably make more money as a waiter and you'd have a steady income.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be alot easier on you to get some sort of job (waiter,bartender) for some guaranteed money and then play poker the rest of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard from friends that 'serious' money can be made from blogs. given the popularity of poker with young internet players who are computer savy and the collective dream of 'going pro' i think this could be the alternative source of income.

kind of like the guy who sold all his possessions (car, clothing, hat etc) and put it all on the roulette wheel for one spin. it had about a break even expectation but the reality show or documentary he made of the event was the guaranteed win. blog rocket, and they will come.

(ps the guy doubled up... )
Old 03-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Over the last few years I have seen many come out here to try and make it in the 1/2 and 2/5 games. I have seen about as many go back home.
1/2 and 2/5 just do not bring in the cash flow needed to make it here alone.
Now if you team up and live with 3 or 4 other to share rent, elect., gas, water and such you may do just fine.
At 1/2 and 2/5 you are not looking at enough income to cover the ever increasing cost of living here in Las Vegas.
Learn the 15/30 and up limit game and yuo have a good chance of getting someplace.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM

I respect anyone who can be a break even player.to break even you Must play very good [everyone thinks they do]you cant ever tilt,you must play in good games,you must have a big enough bankroll to carry you thru losing streaks which you will have.To be a winning player you must do the above and be a great player[everyone thinks they are]..the only way you can find out how good you realy are is to try.muy guess is no..my suggestion is go to scholl get a good job play this game for extra income good luck
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM

Since you are running at 5/100 online, with good game selection in the 2/5 and 5/10 realm you should be fine. Just dont expect to get rich. Get your feet wet at 1/2 or 1/3 then start looking for the better 2/5 games, also check out the Bell's 5/10 game.