Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: ** NBA Conference Finals **

[ QUOTE ]
This stat is meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

That team stat was the only one that stood out besides the PPG. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I never implied that it means anything.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well the Pistons and Mavs barely got by the Cavs and Spurs...and one break here or there and neither team advances...so they are obviously now going to destroy both teams their playing...lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Mavs barely got by a DYNASTY/#1 seed that set a franchise record in wins this season.

[ QUOTE ]
Suns will have a tougher time against the Mavs but they would be better off facing the Mavs then the Spurs. Against the Mavs they have a real shot to beat them. The Spurs they would have no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this how?

[ QUOTE ]
If you look at all of this seasons games the Suns didn't get demolished in any game against the Mavs...they lost by only 5-7 points...when they won it was by 5+ points.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a weird comment. What is the difference? PHO also haven't won a game that was decided by less than 3 points all year long, this is just the way the game flows with their pace, they win big and they can come back quick, no lead is insurmountable. But a win is a win and a loss is a loss. They are a very vulnerable team, a team that can be beaten by just about anyone...they are also dangerous and can beat ANYONE too. The scores of the games of regular season games mean absolutely dick.

[ QUOTE ]
The Mavs are obviously the better team but they are by no means a dominant team. Hence nearly blowing a Game 7 when you have a 20 point lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is misleading. Firstly, the Mavericks were unconscious out of the gates and no team and nobody can sustain the level of shooting that they had going in the first half...obviously that lead was going to at least cut in half just by cooling off a little. Secondly, when every bump of Tim Duncan is called and your team is in the penalty a few minutes into the third period and he gets two free throws every possession, it makes it easier to cut into a lead as well. I haven't bitched about last night at all but the way the game was called was retarded. And you can go back and look at the stat sheets in the third period when it got out of hand and see. The only reason the final stats look remotely close is b/c of Dirk and is aggressiveness. We were in foul trouble, big big foul trouble the ENTIRE second half, and then beat their ass with three guys fouled out in OT! We are the deepest team in the league. That 20 point lead was evaporated b/c of many circumstances and they held ship b/c they aren't the team of old but a different team, like I have been telling everyone all along yet everyone hates and says, "ahhh they will win 60 games and choke to the Spurs in the second round." BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

[ QUOTE ]
Mavs probably take it in 6 games. But if the Suns shoot hot in the 4th and get some bounces...they could win it in 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course anyone can win, this is why you play the game. You are right, when that team is on a roll they are scary.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suns will have a tougher time against the Mavs but they would be better off facing the Mavs then the Spurs. Against the Mavs they have a real shot to beat them. The Spurs they would have no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you know this how?

[/ QUOTE ]

wasnt my quote but I can answer it. Its mainly cause of Duncan cause they usually give up 25+ to him AND double him and let him kick out to tons of open 3's. Also its cause of their defensive maturity in the 4th quarter (Spurs), as the suns went into the 4th with the lead most of the games but the Spurs were so smart defensively and so flawless offensively in the half court in those 4th quarters.

The mavs dont have a dominant inside presence, and arent quite to that point defensively, thus the Suns have a much better chance against the Mavs. Like I said though Mavs in 7 is my prediction, but could be less as Im not sure Nash will be healthy enough to be the best player in the series like he was last year.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wasnt my quote but I can answer it. Its mainly cause of Duncan cause they usually give up 25+ to him AND double him and let him kick out to tons of open 3's. Also its cause of their defensive maturity in the 4th quarter (Spurs), as the suns went into the 4th with the lead most of the games but the Spurs were so smart defensively and so flawless offensively in the half court in those 4th quarters.

The mavs dont have a dominant inside presence, and arent quite to that point defensively, thus the Suns have a much better chance against the Mavs. Like I said though Mavs in 7 is my prediction, but could be less as Im not sure Nash will be healthy enough to be the best player in the series like he was last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I obviously think the Suns can't beat the Spurs too, but the Spurs are only slightly better defensively than Dallas and in their series Dallas was better defensively. I see Dallas and SA as basically the same mold except for for this difference, Dallas doesn't have the premiere big guy (they have some role players in the interior that do a good job) but what they lacked there they had the advantage in team speed, quickness, and depth/bench to SA's. That is the trade off.

And I don't think that Nash will be the best player in the series even if he is 100% healthy, this isn't last year. This team isn't the 05' team, they have been facelifted and Dirk is thriving. Nash will be the X-factor on the Suns and one of the best players in the series, I just don't see him having more of an impact than Dirk. Dallas has 10X the team speed as last year, as well as the last few times they played in the regular season minus Devon Harris.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:38 PM

Even a healthy Nash isn't better than Dirk right now. He's nigh unguardable, great outside shot, decent post presence, good at driving.

Phoenix is a very good team with a great offense, but they're not going to be able to guard Dirk, Terry, Howard, or Harris. They haven't been able to get rebounds or stops against either of the LA teams, how are they going to get stops against Dallas?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:46 PM

Devin Harris will outplay Steve Nash. You heard it hear first. Mavs in 6. Detroit in 7. Book it.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tuq - AHHHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH F YOU!!!
Sigh, well done.

Having watched this team and dissecting their game for a 7-game series, I think the Suns can steal a game or 2. I would prefer they give them a real series, as it's preferable to be taken out by the eventual conference champion... but the Mavs are kind of a super-charged version of the Clippers. More athletic, and I don't see them having similar defensive breakdowns we did against the Suns.

Too bad.

Mavs in 5

Pistons in 7.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]
Al,

You're seriously the only Clippers fan I know and you seem like a nice guy, so when the Suns were SIICP last night I was like aw, poor Al!

In addition to the Mavs being at least as worn out as the Suns after their series, there is legitimate letdown potential. After all, they just beat the defending champs, their cross-state rivals, and conquered years worth of demons in the process. I will never be as emotionally invested in any team after the Suns stunned the Lakers (best record in the league) in 1990, and then went on to choke to an inferior Blazers team.

So I see a letdown happening...for a game or two, thus Mavs in six.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 PM

Does Phoenix have an edge at any position? Seriously. Point guard, I guess. But it's not like Nash can stop Harris or Terry.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly I'm surprised by the Heat love. Is this a sexy underdog pick, or are people jumping onto the bandwagon that quickly? The Heat just don't match up well with the Pistons, period. They (and Shaq) have a pretty poor record the last few years vs the 'Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's no secret, they've been playing badly. if they keep playing badly they're gonna lose. even if they don't, they might lose. This isn't the same Heat team as last year? It isn't the same Pistons team either.

Pistons in 7, Mavs in 6
Old 05-23-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly I'm surprised by the Heat love. Is this a sexy underdog pick, or are people jumping onto the bandwagon that quickly? The Heat just don't match up well with the Pistons, period. They (and Shaq) have a pretty poor record the last few years vs the 'Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's no secret, they've been playing badly. if they keep playing badly they're gonna lose. even if they don't, they might lose. This isn't the same Heat team as last year? It isn't the same Pistons team either.

Pistons in 7, Mavs in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

the pistons would need to play worse then they did against the cavs to lose this.