Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Default How to play against a bully? NLTRN

I know this question has been asked numerous times, but what should you do if someone (at HU Sng) raises almost every hand? I just played against some fish who raised about 80% of time pre-flop (he raised to 3 or 4 times of BB). If I call him, I know he will bet on the flop again and usually I don't hit the flop sol I can't call him. If I fold too many times pre-flop, he gets too many chips from me. I know his strategy is very likely wrong, but it also seems that my "defensive strategy" doesn't work...

I'll appreciate any tips.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: How to play against a bully?

tighten up....dont try to "see lots of flops" with this guy. You will eventually pick up a hand that is ahead of his range then you will play back at him.

Indy
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM

I find that tightening up and trapping when you got something works. If I find that after the first time he lets up after the flop when you smooth call him, then I would consider widening the range and floating him in the future. If he doesn't let up, then there probably wouldn't be a second time.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Actually his strategy is close to right . The very fact that you're posting this is indicative of how effective his strategy is .

80% may be a bit too high but it can also be right if you're folding a lot . If you play back at him he will be raising less , that is if he's smart anyway .
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: How to play against a bully? NLTRN

You can loosen up in the sense that you can reraise more often, but you shouldn't be calling on sub-par hands unless you want to make some hero calls.

See flops on hands like QJ where you are probably behind preflop, but if you hit the flop you can milk him easily. Shove hands like low pockets and Ax down his throat.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: How to play against a bully? NLTRN

[ QUOTE ]

See flops on hands like QJ where you are probably behind preflop, but if you hit the flop you can milk him easily. Shove hands like low pockets and Ax down his throat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you have q-j oop , you're definitely ahead of his range if he's raising 80% of the time .

There are 168 king hands and 184 ace hands as well as 72 pocket pair hands . This is only 424 hands out of a 0.8*1225=980 hands . This means you're ahead of 556 hands and trailing to 424 hands . Not to mention that your hand plays much better than a-low or k-low .