Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Moral dilemma/car dealership help? (a little long)

the bmw guy doesn't expect you to pay but from his perspective he might as well ask just in case you feel guilty enough to give him free money.

i work in finance, and every time there's a screwup that costs us money, we'll usually call the other involved firm (usually multiple people contributed in some way to the screwup) and ask them to chip in to make up the difference. usually these are situations in which they have no legal responsibility, but every once in a while they'll pay, so we ask.

also, even if you did feel guilty enough to ship him some money, he clearly just made up the $10k number. it's highly suspect that a car would depreciate by 30% in 6 months. a more reasonable estimate of how much it cost them is the change in the blue-book value over the 6 months.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 PM

g,

Please find the difference in blue book values if possible!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of a single situation where a car dealer offered to "split the difference" with a customer when someone overpaid or felt misled or somehow something happened due to the customer's sloppiness that resulted in them paying more money than they felt they should.

[/ QUOTE ]

untrue. I have been at the same dealership for over 12 years and you would be amazed at the things that go on "behind the scenes" when it comes to doing the right thing instead of milking every penney one can from their guests.

With that being said, the dealer should have insured that the car was titled to the person that traded it. A tag receipt, TML etc could easily have done this. The OP did say that the car was registered to him before the sale and it was not. Is the OP a real tool? IMO, yes.....does he owe them money? IMO, no.

Doesnt matter now but the dealer should have completed the paperwork and held the paperwork or held a check for the trade value until OP produced the title.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM

i just don't see a used car losing that much value in less then a year with no extra miles on it either.

But you are cool in my book, and I have relatively strict morals.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM

I should leave this alone but there a few things ppl should consider when they think they are being smart saying the dealer doesnt have a leg to stand on.

1. I am confident OP signed a form saying the car was registered to him with a clear title.

2. I am confident he signed an arbitration agreement and although this will never go to arbitration over this small amount of money....IMO, OP could very well be responsible for the loss because the dealer cannot sell the car which was bought in good will off of false information from the OP.

3. What if OP bought the BMW and the dealer couldnt produce the title and put him off for months and then found it and OP had to pay $3k in fines?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:26 AM

i wouldnt give this guy a cent. and I would make sure and tell him that i also dont plan on buying another car from him in the future.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 AM

i'm not exactly a car expert, but i don't see how a 2004 would lose 30% of its value in 7 months if it's not being driven. not giving this guy free mani sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Based upon my strong dislike for car dealers I would hate giving them any money, however your actions did cost them some money, but not as much as they are asking.

By taking the old and current blue book value you can probably figure out how much your two months of foot dragging cost them. Offer them that if it's important to you.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 AM

cabbage,

"you would be amazed at the things that go on "behind the scenes" when it comes to doing the right thing instead of milking every penney one can from their guests."

Guests, lol.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 AM

That's hilarious. Didn't even catch that.
i wouldn't be giving these guys a dime either btw.