Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Average SMP IQ.

[ QUOTE ]
I've scored 142.

But its a waste because I look good (for those that don't know good looks is just as good an indicator of solid career, happy relationships and overall life quality), and yes I'm j/k. Not about the good looks though, on those I'm actually serious. I have never gotten turned down at a job interview, even if underqualified. I'm truly blessed!

[/ QUOTE ]
The measure of how good you look is rejection by females, not job interviews.

I'm better looking than tame_deuces and I'd estimate a high 120s IQ, just based on internet tests where I score around 140, school/college/competition results, problems I can and can't solve, etc. Never been formally tested.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being dead and all?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, that and the fact that he tested at 124.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:51 PM

My IQ is about 130 based on an average of internet IQ tests. Also, I was in a class for gifted children from 4th to 12th grade. An IQ of 125 was required to get into the class, so I at least know that mine is higher than that.

I also look good, but have been turned down in quite a few job interviews. I attribute my lack of success to confidence issues caused by my "lateral" lisp.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:56 PM

Well, I agree that IQ tests don't necessarily measure inherent logic. I do believe there are seperate tests that are designed for that though.

I believe intelligence quotient (as opposed to simple logic), is supposed to encompass acquired (and/or accumulated) knowledge as well as logic. Of course, it's not meant to be post graduate trivia, but things like the Louisiana purchase is supposed to be common knowledge to anyone reasonably educated and/or well read in the US. Ditto for for the math-type questions. They require a reasonable knowledge of math. Nothing more.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:57 PM

I'm a member of Mensa, but they never gave me a score for the test I took, so I'm not sure what that translates to. I always tried to recognize that each person has their own special gifts, regardless of IQ, and unlike many Mensans I've met, I don't get any sense of superiority of being or ability to deal with life's challenges from having a reasonably high IQ.

In fact, poker for me has highlighted how much more important emotional intelligence is for my general sense of wellness/happiness (I tilt too much, my decisions suck when I do, and my bankroll goes south soon after!).
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

, it bugs me when I do badly on a "louisiana purchase is to _________ as Alaska is to russia" question

[/ QUOTE ]

France? If so, helps to be from La. Lol.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 AM

I havent got a clue - but this seemed to me an obvious example of an inherent problem with IQ tests. Perhaps these sort of problems disappear in better tests (or balance each other out).
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps these sort of problems disappear in better tests (or balance each other out).

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. The kind of question that beats me is the one with patterns - I always see patterns that aren't there. Interesting that visual arts don't click with me though I love lit and music.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I havent got a clue - but this seemed to me an obvious example of an inherent problem with IQ tests. Perhaps these sort of problems disappear in better tests (or balance each other out).

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what is agreed upon as the problem with the majority of IQ tests is that the test makers aren't necessarily as smart as/smarter than the person they are testing. a result of this is a test that contains false patterns, vague questions, and questions that don't pertain to intelligence.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the "If 4 workers dig 12 holes in 4 days how long will it take 9 workers to dig 81 holes?" questions. A bit of experience at doing them teaches you the common traps and the key to solving them quickly and accurately.

Another example where mathematical training helps you think about it correctly was "A square with sides of 10cm can completely fit within a regular hexagon with sides of 10cm - true or false?" Surely one can be brilliant without knowing the definition of "regular hexagon"?

Similarly the "Count the four sided figures in this picture" types - combinatorics develops the habit of methodically counting so that you dont miss any and dont double count.

One test I did had a "Which sequence of coin tosses is more likely - HHTHT or TTTT?" question. These are trivial once you know a bit of probability, irrespective of what you would have thought prior to being taught.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real IQ tests should not contain questions like most of these.