Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Default $60 AA in bb vs sb complete

villian was like 25/5, 25 hands, and this was the first time i have every played with him. so your basic unknown player, probably a losing player.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Hero (t1545)
UTG (t2205)
MP (t1265)
CO (t1445)
Button (t4095)
SB (t2945)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>
Old 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: $60 AA in bb vs sb complete

Looks good, especially if you're planning to shove if he re-raises.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Given that your opponent is unknown and possibly bad, this seems ok. My one concern would be this: given the size of the blinds and your chip stack, what kind of range of hands do you make this play with? I would guess that most hands you would just shove here preflop (or check). Plays out of the ordinary should draw attention, especially this small min raise, given your stack size.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that your opponent is unknown and possibly bad, this seems ok. My one concern would be this: given the size of the blinds and your chip stack, what kind of range of hands do you make this play with? I would guess that most hands you would just shove here preflop (or check). Plays out of the ordinary should draw attention, especially this small min raise, given your stack size.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would never do this vs a known player, sorta a one time thing vs an unknown who i figure is limping wide and gonna fold if i push.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would never do this vs a known player, sorta a one time thing vs an unknown who i figure is limping wide and gonna fold if i push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, yeah, then thats a fine play here.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Looks good, I'd probably raise to 500 so we have closer to a PSB left on the flop so we're more likely called.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Man is this ever a hard spot to extract value. Does anybody like checking behind and hoping SB hits TP on the flop?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man is this ever a hard spot to extract value. Does anybody like checking behind and hoping SB hits TP on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
someone once told me AA is usually win small or lose big. i don't like the check and possibly giving him a chance to catch something better than TP for cheap.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like the check and possibly giving him a chance to catch something better than TP for cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Early/Middle game this is obviously true, but I don't think it's as applicable in late game when we're sitting with 7bbs. The likelihood of SB hitting a random two pair on the flop is too small to worry about IF there's actually value in disguising the strength of our hand so well preflop.

Raising smallish makes it screamingly obvious that we have a monster, and the way I see it SB is only calling our shove if he was trapping himself. So since any raise is only getting us more chips in rare circumstances, I ask again: is there any value in checking behind and hoping SB connects with something he's willing to go the distance with?

Edited for clarity
Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM

You have to have some history in BVB with him this game. If this is the first time he's open-completed, I'd be inclined to raise hoping he likes his hand or we hit the jackpot and he's trapping. If he's a serial completer and I've been checking behind (which I don't do past lvl 3 or so), then I might just check because he's so likely to fold.

This is why I think it's better to always raise over completers once the blinds start to matter a little. You know if they are calling stations or complete-folders. Also increases the chances they might be trapping with AQ or something here.