Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Default hi/lo: slow down at some point?

seat 6 is prettyloose, but hasn't shown too much aggression. seat 8 is a pretty bad station

comments on all streets would be awesome.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street - (4.85 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (7.85 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

River - (13.85 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: hi/lo: slow down at some point?

Read Ray Zee's book. If you've already read it, read it again. Read it again after that.

If three-way raised pots are the norm, fold third and find another game. I'm fine with the limp in a typical micro game.

I'm not crazy about the raise on fourth. I don't like the bet on fifth, and I really don't like the bet on sixth. I love flush draws in high-only stud, which is why I play them too much in stud/8, but here you're definitely drawing and very likely playing for only half the pot.

Bad fold on the river. You're not going to be good very often, but you'll be good often enough to make calling worthwhile.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:06 PM

yup, it was pretty much the only totally butchered hand in my session. Everything else was pretty good.

I kinda knew all the problems in this hand, but wanted to post it so I could get the repremand I desearve [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

3-bet pots are totally not the norm...this went awefully pear shaped fast.

Q: why would someone not want to play in a game that has bad players pumping the heck out of pots with bad hands?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:11 PM

I don't want to be playing in a raked split-pot game unless the pots are big. Tough to make big pots with only three guys in.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:06 PM

ahhhh, good point. I really need to get away from my LHE state of mind. It is a tough thing to do.

So realistically. hi/lo is not the best internet game of choice?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 PM

I've beaten live $30/60 stud/8 games at a pretty decent clip over the years. I didn't start winning online until I quit playing stud/8. Not that I ever made much online. Canterbury's career money leader in stud/8 can't beat online stud/8, either. The games are beatable, but if making money is your primary objective, play hold me.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:16 PM

That's funny. When my online roll gets clobbered playing games like no-limit hold'em or triple-draw lowball, it's the good old reliable stud/8 that puts me back on my feet again.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:45 PM

it was a good enough venture, and I think it has done some good for my mixed game, so I am happy.

Trying to find another game though, as I am not liking holdem all that much. Thought this might be a gooder, but I can see that online is not "the greatest" earner.

maybe I will try to just improve my NLHE game....sigh, I hate NLHE so much [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM

I normally not a big fan of these types of hands either, but in the right situation, I think it's Ok, and in the game you described, I think the hand is playable, because, noone seemed to play over-aggressive(which you wouldn't want when drawing to this type of hand) plus, they also seemed to be the types who may not read hands very well so here's another added bonus for for the times when you do complete the draw because it's not an easy hand to make.

That said, I like your raise on 4th IF you thought it might get you a free card on 5th, and based on their tendencies, it looks like it just might work so that's good, not to mention, that unless you pair up on 5th, you're still going to be acting last (which is important if one of your objectives for raising was to get a free card). So please take the free card on 5th! These two guys are not folding, especially the guy with 3 low upcards and you can't even beat Ace high yet. Don't make this draw costly if you don't have to when you know that a bet won't buy you the pot.

On 6th, I prefer a check/call unless you feel that by betting, it might scare the player inbetween you and the other player who is showing 4 low cards and cause him to fold his hand/draw due to the fear of being raised by the last player and then perhaps again by you. And the river is a MUST call for one bet in a big pot in a limit structured game, and this is the street where I think you made the biggest error. Even if the initial raiser does have A's, the most he's going to do is check/call himself because the last player's board is too threatening.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that I ever made much online. Canterbury's career money leader in stud/8 can't beat online stud/8, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what stakes he played?