Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 PM

Location: Im at the Red Lobster and I\'m eatin\' all the shriiimp!
Default Where should my weight be in stance? Heels or balls of feet?

I just had a lesson and the instructor told me I should have my weight more on the balls of my feet rather than my heels. This video also had the same advice:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ect-golf-swing

Well, today, I was reading Ben Hogan's Fundamentals Stance and Posture chapter and came across this, "Your weight should be a bit more on the heels than on the balls of your feet, so that, if you wanted to, you would be ablet to lift your toes inside your shoes."

So, where should the weight be?
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Where should my weight be in stance? Heels or balls of feet?

I find I have better balance if I 'feel' that it's about 60% heels, 40% toes. It's more likely that I'm 50/50, but it feels slightly more heels. I find that when I have it more like 60% toes, that I have a tendency to lean forward through my swing and might get off balance.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Stand barefoot and lift your toes in the air as much as you can. You will feel three pressure points, one on your heels and the two balls of your feet. The answer is to have pressure on all three points, not one or the other, as your question asks.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Obviously, my weight will be on both my heels and balls of the feet. The only way for this not to happen would be for me to remove either the balls of my feet or my heels off of the ground and have all the weight on whatever part is on the ground. Where should more of my weight be, then? Should it be balanced equally between the balls of feet and the heels or is it better to have a little bit more on the heels, say? The video/my instructor seem to conflict with Hogan.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 PM

The answer to your question has been given...or at least suggestions. No one has suggested 100% heels or 100% balls.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer to your question has been given...or at least suggestions. No one has suggested 100% heels or 100% balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I'm really asking is where, traditionally, should more of the weight be--the heels or the balls of the feet?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess what I'm really asking is where, traditionally, should more of the weight be--the heels or the balls of the feet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with previous posters, it feels like about 60% heels, 40% balls.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again...it's been answered [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be equally on the balls of the feet and heels. If more weight is on the balls of your feet you will be using your quads to stabilize rather than your core.

But you need to sort this out with your instructor. Perhaps he sees you getting off balance during the swing, and feels that by moving more weight toward the balls of your feet will help. As a golf instructor myself, I find my job super easy when my students provide feedback and communicate with me anything they might not understand my reasoning for.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:24 AM

if the pro was telling you balls of feet, it probably meant you are too far on your heels.

golf is a game of adjustments and you over exaggerate what you are trying to fix until you over correct then you go back the other way and continue like this.

also, an athletic position is on the balls of your feet. You need a solid base in golf, but you have to be in an athletic position to hit the ball.