Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2007, 03:36 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Ugh proposal dilemma

My girlfriend and I are going to Seattle for a friend's wedding. I didn't want to propose in Vegas and Seattle is the natural choice so this is the perfect opportunity. I ordered the ring and had it shipped to Seattle and it's due to arrive on Monday or Tuesday the 22nd or 23rd. We'll be in Seattle from Thursday the 19th to Wednesday the 25th. So everything was set the timing is good (I wouldn't want to propose before the wedding, don't want to upstage my friend) I know where to do it, etc. etc. etc. Finally it's probably important to mention that she's at least somewhat expecting it sometime on the trip. Plus I don't think it's fair to make her wait even longer without at least a very good reason, especially since that would mean finding a new plan, likely in Vegas.

Enter the difficulty. My girlfriend's been waiting a while for this, we've been together a long time but I was young and dragged my feet. No matter I'm totally ready/pumped now. But nevertheless it's something she's been wanting for a while.

She has an ex-roommate with whom she had a falling out who will be at the wedding. They haven't spoken in probably 2.5 years but we'll see her at the wedding. She just got engaged to a guy who she's been with far less time then my girlfriend and I. Since I won't have proposed yet, this is really going to bug my girlfriend and there's no doubt the ex-roommate will be doing her share of flaunting. I feel like this has the potential to taint the whole thing. She'll be mildly annoyed for a lot of the week, she'll remember that she got engaged right after her friend she hates, etc. etc. etc. Also, fiance is loaded so I can't even out-rock him. Ugh. Maybe I'm just blowing it all up in my head and once she gets the ring she won't care, but maybe not. :-(

Do I...

a. Propose without the ring before the wedding
b. Continue ahead as scheduled
c. postpone the whole thing (If you choose option C it's suggested that you come up with another plan)