Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 PM

Default (live $175) Time to bail out of a stop-n-go?

Mirage live $175 SNG, ten players start, payout 70%/30%

2000 starting chips, 4 players left

Hero = BB
The Button is a fairly poor player. He got his stack with a great run of cards paid off by even weaker players, plus a few suckouts. He has been raising my BB fairly frequently. I've been folding a lot more than normal to his raises due to a glut of indefensible BB hands. My handle on his raising range isn't great, but I'm sure it includes any pair, any ace, any two Broadway, and maybe some other stuff. I know he's capable of laying down a hand as good as top pair, but that was against someone else and I'm not sure how much credit he is going to give me postflop since I doubt he even remembers me playing my one hand.

The table has turned fairly aggressive. I am perceived as some sort of retarded maniac because I keep pushing for ~10 BB. People limp... I push... profit. There was a lot of "I'm gonna catch you, you little punk," going on every time I would push. I showed down one hand in a small pot very early on, then nothing else.

This hand is a stop-and-go from the start. I had yet to pull one of these and now seemed as good an opportunity as I was going to get. I'm still convinced it was the correct strategic decision for the hand but my tactics might have failed me.

blinds 150/300/25A
stacks are approximate
UTG (t4800)
Button (t8000)
SB (t4000)
Hero (t3200)

Dealt to Hero Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Preflop: <font color="#666666">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises to t900</font>, <font color="#666666">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t2050) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero ???

Can you pull the trigger on that flop? Can I not pull the trigger on that flop?