Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Stars response on a chronic staller, with no reason to stall.

I don't know if it's new or related, but when my table came up for the 100k, instead of saying "There's no all-in in a tournament", it said something like "Your all-in privileges have been revoked."
Old 08-12-2007, 05:01 PM

No rule change needed. The staller paid his entry fee.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No rule change needed. The staller paid his entry fee.

[/ QUOTE ]
logic?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:13 PM

He paid for the right to use all rules to his advantage as he sees fit. It's crappy and rude, but get over it.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 PM

dont you think it being crappy and rude is a pretty good reason for a rule change?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Here is my proposed solution :

The rules around the basic time allotted per hand are left as they are: you can take up to the allotted basic time on as many hands as you want.

Perhaps the amount of time is reduced: this should be a technical research oriented decision in which the type of internet latencies players experience are taken into account. It's not fair to penalize players who aren't playing from their workplace on a T1. It's also not fair to penalize casual players who don't want to invest in pricey home bandwidth or multiple providers but are willing to pay the entrance fee (after all, these types of players are typically donks that feed the game).

However, the time bank becomes somewhat like a chess clock, where you have a maximum amount per hand, but also a maximum amount per tournament. The more time you use up on your time bank the more risk you assume that if you get real deep and you run into a tricky situation that requires serious thought, or plugging some numbers into a tool, that you won't have any time bank left.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,
While stallers are annoying as all hell I can tell you right now if I am having weird connection issues in a $1k and timing out here and there I better still have my full 15 seconds to act when I reconnect. In essence, there is no real solution that punishes offenders adequately while in the breath allows those who need the time to continue to use it as they are afforded.

Also in terms of live poker, I had people in the WSOP take 45-60 seconds every hand before acting, a full 45 no matter what the hand was. This was annoying as [censored] and I couldnt fire up more tables, but it is a part of the game. Frankly, I think this thread is simply a result of someone who is pissed off because they lost a seat and this staller had now become one of the reasons for said loss, while it all together might not have had an effect one way or another.
~J

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin, I've really got to disagree with this.

If you are playing tournaments online, especially ones of a $1000 buyin or more, your connection is your problem. I pay for a backup connection, as any other sane person who plays at these stakes does. If other people don't, it's not my problem and it certainly shouldn't affect what rules Stars enforces.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this (without giving it much thought). Sure, I expect a lot of internet professional poker players do and should have a backup internet connection at high levels of tourny play. However do I expect rich FISH to have a backup internet connection? No, I do not. Nor would I want to alienate them if I were stars. If I'm wrong, correct me.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:05 PM

I am amazed at this thread and at so many of the responses from posters I otherwise admire.

Everyone should have some time to consider their decisions. You believe he was taking too long and you let it bother you. You believe it was rude. Perhaps it was. But playing by the rules is still playing by the rules. Some people get upset when they are check-raised. Should we change that rule as well? Oh wait, we like that one.

He played in a way that was +EV for him and -EV for you. I suspect learning to control your emotions will be much more effective for you than a rules change.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am amazed at this thread and at so many of the responses from posters I otherwise admire.

Everyone should have some time to consider their decisions. You believe he was taking too long and you let it bother you. You believe it was rude. Perhaps it was. But playing by the rules is still playing by the rules. Some people get upset when they are check-raised. Should we change that rule as well? Oh wait, we like that one.

He played in a way that was +EV for him and -EV for you. I suspect learning to control your emotions will be much more effective for you than a rules change.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the time that is allotted to players is there to allow them sufficient time to deliberate over difficult decisions. This is an important aspect of the game, and every player makes use of the time bank when necessary. When players abuse this system by letting the clock running out every hand, I think this constitutes a very clear violation of poker etiquette and this should be sufficient to incur penalties if done consistently, in the same manner that abusive language, etc., is not tolerated. In sum: Stalling in the manner described by OP is clearly against the spirit of the game and I think such behaviour warrants punitive action.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone did this in a live tournament God knows what would happen to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you played live? Each hand takes about 5+ minutes on the bubble - and those are just ones that go fold/fold/fold/BB walks. I seriously wish I was exaggerating.