Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Home game argument

Home game, 7 players. I'm dealing 8 or better omaha. In this game the dealer antes. I ante, deal and it checks around to seat 5 who bets $3, 6 calls, 7 calls, I call, 1 calls, 2 calls, 3 calls (I know, I know...it's a home game), 4 hesitates or is distracted. Inadvertently, I burn and turn 10h, 4d. Seat 1 says seat 4 hasn't called yet but has seen the first two cards of the flop. I stop. Seat 1 wants me to pick up the two flop cards and shuffle the remaining deck and reflop. I say no, because there was already action pre-flop and the hand should stand. Big argument ensues. With no floor to call, what is the correct action?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Home game argument

Action gets completed and then the flop is reshuffled into the stub.

Why would you think pre-flop action would have any bearing in this?

And one other thing. As a dealer I can assure you that this didn't happen because the 4 seat was distracted -- it happened because you weren't paying attention
Old 03-27-2007, 01:19 PM

Well yeah, I was distracted too. This home game is very loud, dopey and drunken. Lots of errors are made by all. So much goes on we get about 12 hands an hour.

But thanks for your insight.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And one other thing. As a dealer I can assure you that this didn't happen because the 4 seat was distracted -- it happened because you weren't paying attention

[/ QUOTE ]
vnh
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM

The criticism is a little harsh, as I certainly have plenty of my own dopey drunken home games and understand how it goes.

But yeah, deck is reshuffled, but keep the burn aside and don't burn again for the flop. The reason is that the player yet to act shouldn't have information the others didn't. The deck is more or less random anyway, so reshuffling causes the least pain in a touchy situation. This is in Robert's Rules, I believe, which you should have on hand if you're not familiar with these kinds of decisions.

In the future, try to get in the habit of rapping the table before burning.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The criticism is a little harsh, as I certainly have plenty of my own dopey drunken home games and understand how it goes.

But yeah, deck is reshuffled, but keep the burn aside and don't burn again for the flop. The reason is that the player yet to act shouldn't have information the others didn't. The deck is more or less random anyway, so reshuffling causes the least pain in a touchy situation. This is in Robert's Rules, I believe, which you should have on hand if you're not familiar with these kinds of decisions.

In the future, try to get in the habit of rapping the table before burning.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't meant to be harsh. I deal for a living and have made this mistake. We all make mistakes. I just don't like to see the blame go to the player when it rests with the dealer.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM

True ture. Things get miscontrued in text, tho'... it was more the one-two of you posting and the reply. No offense meant to anybody. These mistakes happen stone cold sober, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM

No offense was taken. I really appreciate the info. I wasn't blaming seat 4, but in the minute or so that the distraction had us all looking the other way, he had yet to play, that's all. It is the dealers responsibility to control the game and I slipped up.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense was taken. I really appreciate the info. I wasn't blaming seat 4, but in the minute or so that the distraction had us all looking the other way, he had yet to play, that's all. It is the dealers responsibility to control the game and I slipped up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what the distraction was that had them all looking the other way for a minute or so...can you say bong hits??