Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Default All ins on draws?

I don't get it, when people have a flush draw on the flop why do they seem so willing to push all in against 1 opponent? I keep reading it from HH on this site, and to me it makes no sense. This isn't even with 2 overcards. Which puts you on about 35% to win?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: All ins on draws?

Because you can fold and/or they are bad players. Most likely the latter.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:04 AM

Its because of Fold Equity and its not always the right move.

First of all a flush draw is about 35% to hit assuming your shoving on the flop. If you have a flush draw and over cards (15 outs) your about 50% to win depending on your opponents cards.

Given these odds a flushdraw and overs is always the right shove if your opponent has one pair.

Now why would you shove just the flushdraw? Well back to my statement above its because of fold equity. Your betting that your opponent will FOLD a fair amount of the time when you shove all in. The money in the pot you will win when you shove all in will make up for the times you get called and are 35% dog in the hand. This move of course has to be done against the right opponent and the right time or else shoving flushdraws can be very unprofitable.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:16 PM

YOu have A10 flop 10xx your opponent has KQs on flush draw in this case he is even the favorite to win a hand.

How many hands can really call all in bet on the flop? Probably 2 pair or set but I believe you will have that 10% of the time.

So if the pot is 10BB and your opponent shoves on you and you fold 90% of the time there is no way for you to make $$$.

Another thing next time he will have set and will make a move like that on the board with flush draw you will call him with top pair and lose. (so that move basicly gives you advertising value too)

So pushing on the flush draw when you think opponent will likely fold is the right move.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm glad I saw this topic. I was playing in a live tournament on friday. I held 9c8s limped in on the button.

The flop came:
Ad 9h 8h

the player under the gun goes all in! I call, he flips over Ah Kh (15 outs) and he hits running aces to take down the pot and knock me out. Would you call his all-in? my intuition told me that I was up against a coin flip. I guessed that he hit the ace and was on the nutt draw or maybe just the ace. I was right but in this case, it was for my tournament life and I had only one way to win. What would you do?

What do you do when you know you could be against a really good draws when you're not the one to put the pressure on therby giving you only one way to win instead of two?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM

There is not enough information to answer your question, MrX.

We need to know PF action, position, stacks, reads of villain etc. Include those and you'll likely have informative answers.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 PM

Is there a metagame advantage to playing the same way whether you're on a flush draw or trying to price one out?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:31 PM

What I don't understand, yet see all the time, is people CALLING all-in with a flush draw. You don't have any fold equity if the other person is already all in.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I don't understand, yet see all the time, is people CALLING all-in with a flush draw. You don't have any fold equity if the other person is already all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling an all in and it being +EV is if either they already have a significant portion of their stack in or there are 2 or 3 people already all in front of them and simple pot odds give a +EV.outcome.
Otherwise we call these people fish and take their money.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:24 AM

You also push draws because your opponents will call more often when you push with set or better.