FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES FROM
THE HOLY FATHER AND THE HOLY SON 17 48.57%
THE HOLY FATHER 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Official Barry Bonds Countdown Thread

[ QUOTE ]

Check out the Donovan piece where he says Bonds approached the plate after the homer to a "subdued group of teammates" and then when returning to the dugout "most of his teammates were in the field or standing against the rail next to the field. Bonds sat, with no one near him on either side, staring blankly into space."

Doesn't exaclty paint the same picture you saw on television, does it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it does.

As I posted last night, I was really surprised how half-hearted the congratulations were from his teammates after he crossed home plate.

I don't like Bonds, but I do appreciate witnessing sports history (especially when it comes to baseball) and was prepared to enjoy watching the celebration. It was weird to see guys barely patting him on the back and some of those that did hug him didn't even smile (Randy Winn, for example).
Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nice pic at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] CNNSI

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, [censored] [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

i have seriously never been angrier reading a website.

just cancelled my subscription to SI. [censored] pricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

AAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

best website ever.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As I posted last night, I was really surprised how half-hearted the congratulations were from his teammates after he crossed home plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess two people watching the same thing can see entirely different things based on what they want to see....either that or some folks find it easier to believe his teammates reactions were "half-hearted" because they just can't bring themselves to believe that Bonds is geniunely liked by teammates and they were geniunely excited at his achievement.

You should read this, because it's an accurate representation of his teammates reactions, in their own words....not some hackjob misrepresentation like Donovan's piece.

Some excerpts:

...The Giants' clubhouse was bathed in brightness, from the orange commemorative T-shirts players wore to the grins on their faces.

..."I've been looking forward to it from day one of Spring Training, and I think everybody else has," right-hander Russ Ortiz said.

...Jack Taschner said, "My memory for the rest of my life will be Vinnie Chulk screaming at the top of his lungs, 'That's it! It's gone!'"

...Once Bonds' drive cleared AT&T Park's right-center-field fence, the Giants spilled out of the dugout to greet their teammate -- and their emotions spilled over them, too.
..."This whole experience has been unbelievable," Frandsen said.... To experience that, it's unfathomable."

..."it's awesome," Sweeney said.

...Aurilia said. "People outside, they only see what's portrayed through the media and press. They don't see the guy we see every day in here. He's been nothing but great this year. Easy to get along with, supportive of his teammates."

..."I was dazed the rest of the game," first baseman Ryan Klesko said. "I couldn't believe I was there. With all the emotions running at the same time, I was trying to stay focused."

..."That's what this game's all about, the team, and he wanted to share it with us, too," Frandsen said.

...Sweeney said. "This was good for baseball."

Hmmm...doesn't sound too "half-hearted" to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CBS Sportsline's headline:

756*.

Accurate or not, I'm surprised that all the media outlets are going this route. I think its deserved, but that's a move I never thought they'd make.

Edited to remove my typo. Damn it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'll fade away and people will eventually just remember the record for its great achievement. Wasn't Roger Maris' record marked by an asterisk at one point too? When McGwire and Sosa were breaking that, nobody seemed to remember the asterisk.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 AM

What Bud Selig did is so bad. Either acknowledge the record show up and cheer or punish him using the best interest in baseball clause.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM

I didn't see who it was, but one of the Giants players appeared to leap over the fence in front of the dugout and run on to the field with his hands up before Barry left home plate. Did anyone else see that?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just happy that the entire bar I was at booed when he broke the record. He makes a mockery of baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm glad to see you're not just a [censored] retard in BBV
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see who it was, but one of the Giants players appeared to leap over the fence in front of the dugout and run on to the field with his hands up before Barry left home plate. Did anyone else see that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Barry's son.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Barry's son.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I assumed his son was sitting with the rest of his family somewhere not in the dugout.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM

From hardballtimes earlier this week: