Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: iPhone

lol, I love the iPhone Competitive Data in that PR. Such a sleek look though. No plans to get one anytime soon, but I'm considering going down to the Fifth Avenue store the night it gets released. Will be like Christmas in June, I imagine.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen this mentioned yet...

The cost is a lot more than the $500 purchase price.
If you want internet access, that will cost you $60/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting that $60 from? Unlimited Data PDA access is $40 on cingular, they'll bump it up to $60 if you want to tether your device. How can just getting internet access with no 3G cost $60 a month? Is cingular going to have seperate plans for iphone customers than for regular customers? Please cite source.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheapest voice rate = $30
+ Cheapest data rate = $40
Total = $70

I said $60 to be conservative because I don't know the exact price ATT is going to charge. The point is not the exact dollar figure. The point is that the monthly charge is the real cost of iPhone ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what you're saying is that it costs no more per month than any other phone with a data plan, a cost people are currently all too happy to pay with their current smart phones?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new press release on battery life. also, glass touch surface instead of plastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve Jobs quote from the above link...
"There has never been a phone like iPhone, and we can't wait to get this truly magical product into the hands of customers starting just 11 days from today.”

I'm not sure whether to puke or die laughing. Is he F'ing Walt Disney???

Plus, reading the fine print shows that all the battery life details are virtually worthless because you have to configure your Iphone in a certain way which probably means it loses functionality in order to preserve battery life.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM

I've had a bit of Iphone training already, the first of 2 courses. From what I've been told there will be seperate price plans for the Iphone, they are automatically added to your account upon registration of the phone. The prices have not been released yet, I'm assuming that information will be released to me in the second training session.

As a side note, for those of your who plan on purchasing your iphones you might expect long wait times for customer service. Apple will be handling all phone related inquires. All AT&T reps will be handling is network issues, phone registration, and plan provisioning. Everything else gets transfered to Apple, even something as simple as how to send a text msg or how to check your voicemail will require a transfer to Apple. CSR's are also required to wait on the line until an Apple rep is reached, it should be fun.

One piece of unrelated info. AT&T just released(yesterday actually) a new unlimited messaging package for Family Talk lines for 29.99. So for $30 you can text as much as you want across all 5lines of a family talk plan. This feature should be huge, I get asked for a plan like this every day from customers.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen this mentioned yet...

The cost is a lot more than the $500 purchase price.
If you want internet access, that will cost you $60/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you getting that $60 from? Unlimited Data PDA access is $40 on cingular, they'll bump it up to $60 if you want to tether your device. How can just getting internet access with no 3G cost $60 a month? Is cingular going to have seperate plans for iphone customers than for regular customers? Please cite source.

[/ QUOTE ]

Total = $70

I said $60 to be conservative because I don't know the exact price ATT is going to charge. The point is not the exact dollar figure. The point is that the monthly charge is the real cost of iPhone ownership.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what you're saying is that it costs no more per month than any other phone with a data plan, a cost people are currently all too happy to pay with their current smart phones?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can get mobile web access from Verizon for $5/month. this is very handy for access to hotmail/yahoo, and the content providers that Verizon has partnered with. my Env only has a basic browser, so while you can get to any website, the experience isn't great.

what I don't know is how the experience would be on a Verizon phone with a 'full' browser.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Total = $70

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Most smart phones these days are 3G. EDGE blows compared to HSPDA or EVDORevA. People with the iPhone will probably try to do all their interneting through Wifi, but they'll still have to pay ~$30 a month for a data package(included in their special iPhone price plan).

Also, I would be completely unsurprised to see the special iPhone plans to cost more than the sum of their parts. If the base voice/data plan is $70, I bet the base iPhone is $80. That visual voicemail thing won't be free to implement, and also Apple has discovered that their particular target demographic is willing to give away money without asking very many questions.

Anyway, right now smartphones are a tiny niche market almost exclusively used by business people. The iPhone is going after the mass market. Most people don't have $80/mo plans right now and we'll see how that price hike plays with Joe and Jane Public.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM

I love the idea of wifi + 3.5 inch browser. in practice, though, it's not a gigantic value add. in my apartment I will always use my laptop for internet access. when traveling, you're likely to have to pay for wifi access.

if I happen to find myself in a coffeeshop or bookstore that offers free wifi, the iphone will be great. even a bit better than a 3g connection in that cofeeshop!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if I happen to find myself in a coffeeshop or bookstore that offers free wifi, the iphone will be great. even a bit better than a 3g connection in that cofeeshop!

[/ QUOTE ]

But then... you'd be a guy in a coffeeshop on an iPhone. Way too cliche for me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 PM

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/apple/28700/

Apple now saying 8hrs talk time, 6hrs Internet time and 10 days standby time for the iphone.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 PM

This video shows the Google CEO pulling out his iPhone at some speaking conference he is at. In the 24min he briefly pulls out his phone to the crowd. It looks quite sleek and thin. It looks much smaller than I expected it.

Also they say the web browser resolution will be 320x396.

Also with youtube being mobile now (m.youtube.com) that is one less site to worry about accessing without flash capability.