Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Do You Call?

A hypothetical scenario: It's the first day and the first hand of this year's WSOP. You're on the button. Two players immediately go all-in (UTG & UTG+1). It is folded around to you. You look down at your hole cards and you're surprised to see pocket aces. You look at the other players in an effort to get a read, but they have their best poker faces on. SO, do you call or fold? What is your rationale behind your decision?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Do You Call?

Is this supposed to be a joke?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 PM

It started out that way during idle conversation at a cash game last night. But it got a little complex when each person answered. There were 7 of us and each had their own rationale for their answer. I was just curious of the mindsets of the 2+2 players on this.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:27 PM

There was an even dummer thread about this in WPT events or whatever a while ago, and then a bunch of people basically said they'd fold preflop if they were in the BB and the whole table went all in before them. Logic like "deep stacks early on never win the tournament anyways" and "I'd just wait for a better spot" were used.

<3 2p2
Old 07-09-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was an even dummer thread about this in WPT events or whatever a while ago, and then a bunch of people basically said they'd fold preflop if they were in the BB and the whole table went all in before them. Logic like "deep stacks early on never win the tournament anyways" and "I'd just wait for a better spot" were used.

<3 2p2

[/ QUOTE ]

that is so awesome. i would love to hear some examples of the better spots.

though i have to agree with the bb example. I'm oop which is really hard to play postflop.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

though i have to agree with the bb example. I'm oop which is really hard to play postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, awesome.

Its always nice to know that no matter how stupid the thread (and this one is really really stupid), someone always makes it at least worth a chuckle [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Aces are a raise/fold situation preflop.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:20 PM

Fold and quit playing poker. My rationale is quite simple. If I just folded this hand I have no business playing in this tournament period.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:58 PM

Wow, okay you are serious? Okay... umm.

What do I do? Fold

My rationale? I hate having a chip lead early in a tournament. Seriously, tripling up now would be totally -EV. When was the last time an early chip leader one a tournament? Like almost never. Not mention you could lose the hand. Plus, one of the hands you are up against is likely, AA, increasing the chance you might not even triple up, but instead split and only win like 5k in chips. The reason I asked if it was a joke is that this is such an easy fold.

<font color="white">[/sarcasm]
Old 07-09-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its always nice to know that no matter how stupid the thread (and this one is really really stupid), someone always makes it at least worth a chuckle

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it's a stupid thread, half of the threads (and most responses) on this site fall into the various categories of stupid, inane, worthless, far-fetched, highly improbable, childish, etc.

But I digress, I was just curious what the responses would be - valid responses with substance that is.

Some of the responses that were discussed during the aformentioned cash game were:
1. Fold, I'd hate to be the first one put out of the tourney.
2. Call, the implied odds are worth it.
3. Fold, let the reckless ones eliminate each other first before getting in the mix.

There were others, but I'll keep this short - and stupid.