Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Default HOLY SMOKES, I FLOPPED THREE OF A KIND

Obviously, this is like the 4th hand, so I have no reads on my opponent. It has been a while since I have flopped the fabled three of a kind on the flop, so I am unsure if I played this hand correctly.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (3 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero ($100)
Button ($175.65)
SB ($125.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($8.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, Button calls $10.

Turn: ($38.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $29</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $81</font>,

Good, bad, or okay?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: HOLY SMOKES, I FLOPPED THREE OF A KIND

lol sexy

but i would c/mr flop and turn so you can c/r river yo!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM

This is good.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 PM

except that it isn't
Old 10-09-2007, 08:21 PM

This is only sexy because it worked. 95% of the time it won't work, and since you're readless you have no reason to believe that it will work. Therefore, this sucks.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:31 PM

Yucky.

Very yucky.

On the flop your check-raise is pretty strong -- you're likely to fold out any hand that doesn't have a queen or a flush draw in it.

Now, GIVEN that you got called, one of two things will be true:

1. Villain has a Q and will bet the turn.
2. Villain has a flush draw and will check behind on the turn.

All things being equal, it's probably more likely that villain has a flush draw than a queen. Plus, if villain happens to have a weak queen he might check behind on the turn anyways. You should lead this turn after you show strength on the flop. A $30 bet lets you get all-in on the river, assuming villain is even remotely interested in the hand anymore.

Check-raising the turn is a second "AHA, I GOTCHA!" play, and you will often get called by a Q here. Once you checked the turn and villain bet, pushing makes sense. I just don't think you get a bet out of villain often enough for this to be your best choice.

You want all the money in the middle by the river. You've got two more betting rounds and you've only got 2xPot left in your stack. You can go 3/4ths-pot on the turn and then 1/2-pot river and get crying calls from all sorts of crap, including KK and AA.

If you were planning to check-raise the turn, then you should have just check-called the flop. In general, that's probably not the best line against a total unknown. I prefer betting the flop. If villain raises you can pick between three-betting all-in or smooth-calling and donkbetting the turn, though three-betting all-in is probably your best choice. Get the money in fast, but do it in a way that villain can at least talk himself into calling with a weaker hand.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:33 PM

pokey,

3. villain has a pp
Old 10-09-2007, 08:34 PM

c/r the flop is alright since the only strong hands youre repping are a boat and trips and most people wont fold 88 etc here since its not that believable. I think I'd just lead the turn since a lot of his flop calling range is checking through (draws, pairs &lt;KK) and everything that he bets is being bet for value and getting stacked anyway if you lead.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pokey,

3. villain has a pp

[/ QUOTE ]

KK or AA might call your check-raise and might not, depending on villain (and we still have no read [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). Even if villain DOES have a pocket pair and got frisky on the flop, he's going to check behind on the turn. That's all the more reason to lead the turn rather than try to get all super-sneaky-like.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM

yeah exactly i agree, just pointing it out as you missed that in your anaysis.