Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Stupid Yardage Question

pretty much every hole i have ever played is measured along the ground. As for doglegs, if you pace straight down the middle of the fairway and only turn when the fairway turns, that is your yardage. This is how I sometimes hit a 4 iron into a 565 yard hole.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pretty much every hole i have ever played is measured along the ground. As for doglegs, if you pace straight down the middle of the fairway and only turn when the fairway turns, that is your yardage. This is how I sometimes hit a 4 iron into a 565 yard hole.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. The exception that comes to mind is Golden Tee, which simply does a straight line from the tee to the flag. Which is why you sometimes find yourself hitting a driver 350 and then a 7-iron 180 on a 260 yard hole. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 09:59 PM

Hmmmm, I may have to re-pythagorize....

I hadn't considered along the ground. That makes me think of another course I play where there's a 185yd hole. Tee and green are about even, but there's a significant drop in the middle. So in theory, it should play shorter than 185. But the opposite is true - I always come up short on that hole, and my ego won't let me club up. Goddammed inaccurate measurements.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes me think of another course I play where there's a 185yd hole. Tee and green are about even, but there's a significant drop in the middle. So in theory, it should play shorter than 185. But the opposite is true - I always come up short on that hole, and my ego won't let me club up. Goddammed inaccurate measurements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Others on this board have talked about the importance of taking notes on courses you play often. This sounds like a good example.

But I have never understood the ego part of what club you use on a hole. Who cares? Ego aside, I have played with many players who NEVER hit the ball over the green. It is either the perfect shot to flag high or it is short. Seems silly doesn't it?