Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Wireless internet and \"hotspots\"

I apologize for being computer illiterate but can someone please explain how this works? I've had a cable connection for a long time and was just wondering what I would need to access the internet at a place like Starbucks or Time Square for instance. Do I need to subscribe to a service?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Wireless internet and \"hotspots\"

All you will need to access a wireless network is a wireless card in your laptop, which you most likely already have. Most hotspots are free, such as in Starbucks as you mentioned. In some places, like O'Hare airport, you have to pay a fee to use their wireless internet.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All you will need to access a wireless network is a wireless card in your laptop, which you most likely already have. Most hotspots are free, such as in Starbucks as you mentioned. In some places, like O'Hare airport, you have to pay a fee to use their wireless internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

How safe is it to use a wireless hotspot? After all, we are cash players using passwords to get into our online cardrooms.

Thanks in advance for any response.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How safe is it to use a wireless hotspot? After all, we are cash players using passwords to get into our online cardrooms.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends how paranoid you are but imo you're pretty safe as long as your connection is encrypted (like all major poker sites are that I know of). Definitely avoid non-encrypted password exchanges though (websites without the yellow bar that you enter your password into can be intercepted fairly easily).
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 PM

Starbucks is free? Last time I tried to use it (8-12 months ago) it wasn't free. You had to pay something like 7 bucks for the day or 15/month for unlimited access.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:48 AM

I've never tried to use it...I just looked it up and I think you're right it isn't free.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Starbucks used to be free. Now you have to sign up through T-Mobile's hotspot program.

Lots of other places now have free wifi (Krystal's, the library, etc), but most places with free wifi have nanny-filters so you can't do bad things like gamble.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a free, open hotspot to transfer info like this is about as safe as saying your password aloud as you type it in. And your username. And which program or site you're using. Enjoy!
Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a free, open hotspot to transfer info like this is about as safe as saying your password aloud as you type it in. And your username. And which program or site you're using. Enjoy!

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree with this, if the site uses proper encryption than it *should be* impossible to decipher this data but that can still get it very easily in the encrypted form.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree with this, if the site uses proper encryption than it *should be* impossible to decipher this data but that can still get it very easily in the encrypted form.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love people that get paranoid about wireless networks. This is far from the most dangerous thing you do with your personal information. Hell, how many times have you given your credit card number and expiration date to a stranger over the phone or to a gas station attendant. Each of those are hundreds of times more likely to result in you getting screwed over.