Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Big strike at GM

When is China coming out with that new $9,000 car of theirs? I can't wait.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am sure it will be extra safe! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh $9,000 is for the "remarkably well-built" midsized sedan. If you can handle a small, gas sipping car without being encased in steel, the price starts in the $4,000 range.

[ QUOTE ]
A test drive here of the Lifan 520 sedan showed it to have an impressively sturdy body with no rattles or wiggles even when traveling over very rough pavement — although this is no guarantee of long-term reliability. There is ample headroom in the front seats and even the rear seats for a 6-foot-4 occupant.

The $9,700 price tag includes leather seats, dual air bags, a huge trunk and a DVD system with a video screen facing the front passenger — a combination that could cost twice as much in a comparably equipped midsize sedan in the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I liked seeing that unions are alive and well in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

This strike doesn't mean that unions are alive and well in this country. The strike is a bad idea. GM has been taking it in the shorts for awhile and it's not like they'll be missing a lot of profits by having this strike. Actually I don't think the workers have much leverage in this but not sure what their strike benefits are in this day and age. At one time the UAW workers could stay out a long time due to generous strike benefits. Don't know if GM could do a chapter 11 to rid itself of its pension liabilities either. Noticed that this was a yawner for the GM stock.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are arguing over wage, health care and outsourcing concerns.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
...UAW has had trouble breaking into the Japanese plants...

[/ QUOTE ]

</irony>
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

Iron,
You correctly point out the benefits of unions while ignoring the downside. What good is high wages and great benefits when those costs make your company unable to compete?

On top of that unions foster an us vs them mentality that kills productivity and innovation.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh $9,000 is for the "remarkably well-built" midsized sedan. If you can handle a small, gas sipping car without being encased in steel, the price starts in the $4,000 range.

[ QUOTE ]
A test drive here of the Lifan 520 sedan showed it to have an impressively sturdy body with no rattles or wiggles even when traveling over very rough pavement — although this is no guarantee of long-term reliability. There is ample headroom in the front seats and even the rear seats for a 6-foot-4 occupant.

The $9,700 price tag includes leather seats, dual air bags, a huge trunk and a DVD system with a video screen facing the front passenger — a combination that could cost twice as much in a comparably equipped midsize sedan in the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the point is that if they can't avoid putting lead into children's toys and toothpaste, they'll have a tough time with the quality control required to build a car
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 AM

It's ok, they stole the blueprints from western companies.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the point is that if they can't avoid putting lead into children's toys and toothpaste, they'll have a tough time with the quality control required to build a car

[/ QUOTE ]
Those GM pensioners better hope that you're right, but it seems like a huge assumption to me. China has designed and built their own fighter jets -- there's nothing supernaturally difficult about building a reasonable car for less than GM can do it.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Those GM pensioners better hope that you're right, but it seems like a huge assumption to me. China has designed and built their own fighter jets -- there's nothing supernaturally difficult about building a reasonable car for less than GM can do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that china built is own fighter jets is completely irrelevant due to the fact that they aren't built on the cheap. not to mention they're fighter jets. have you been paying attention at all to news about chinese product recalls lately?